ATV/SXS laws

Delta21

FNG
Can anyone explain what the rules and regs are for atv’s and SXS’s are for hunting out west. Is there certain size and or motor restrictions?

Buzzy73

FNG
Depends on forest or other agencies and even within the area may have different rules. Personally in my area an ATV or SXS cant go anywhere my jeep isn’t also allowed.

11boo

WKR
If you are talking Colorado find the Motor Vehicle use map for the chosen area.
USFS will have it on their site.

wytx

WKR
You will find some trails for less than 50" wide atvs and side by sides.
You need an atv sticker in most states, either buy when you get there or online.
You will have to stay on roads or trails, no off-roading so to speak.

As stated look over the MVUM for roads and trails that are open or have seasonal closures, the map is free and online.

Mtnboy

WKR
Others have already said this, but it's going to be pretty specific for where exactly you are.

In Idaho there are normal OHV Laws in places and then those are supplemented sometimes by special laws regarding hunting.

Bottom line, you are gonna have to do some specific research as there is not a one size fits all answer.

Just make sure you follow the laws when you figure out what they are, illegal OHV use ruins it for the rest of us. Illegal OHV users are just as bad as poachers.

ODB

WKR
In Idaho there are normal OHV Laws in places and then those are supplemented sometimes by special laws regarding hunting.

And then there are laws supplemented by the landowner, i.e. Nat Forest / BLM / etc. that supersede those.

Motorized travel is very complicated - I have been at a Y in a trail, the left is clear and easily travelled by a full-size truck, the right is brushy and tight... but according to the law and maps, the left trail is illegal to travel over and the right legal.

Err heavily on the side of caution...

In most areas they need to have at least a twin turbo v6 with borla exhaust to be legal to go anywhere you want. They also need custom wheels, a small lift with mud tires and a killer stereo. They should also have a hidden cooler to hold monster or miller lite. Rifle rests on the door frames and roof are also a necessity. Once you have this kind of setup you can go on closed roads, around gates, across private and blast through pretty much anything you want if you think there might be deer or elk in the area.

On a more serious note - it varies by state so check the regs wherever you're going. Usually there's a MVU map for the forests, etc. Err on the side of caution.

Mtnboy

WKR
And then there are laws supplemented by the landowner, i.e. Nat Forest / BLM / etc. that supersede those.

Motorized travel is very complicated - I have been at a Y in a trail, the left is clear and easily travelled by a full-size truck, the right is brushy and tight... but according to the law and maps, the left trail is illegal to travel over and the right legal.

Err heavily on the side of caution...

The Landowner laws you are referencing were what I meant by "normal OHV laws".

N.ID7803

WKR
In most areas they need to have at least a twin turbo v6 with borla exhaust to be legal to go anywhere you want. They also need custom wheels, a small lift with mud tires and a killer stereo. They should also have a hidden cooler to hold monster or miller lite. Rifle rests on the door frames and roof are also a necessity. Once you have this kind of setup you can go on closed roads, around gates, across private and blast through pretty much anything you want if you think there might be deer or elk in the area.

On a more serious note - it varies by state so check the regs wherever you're going. Usually there's a MVU map for the forests, etc. Err on the side of caution.
This is extremely accurate! LAWS what LAWS!

def90

WKR
In Colorado you can only drive them on trails that are marked as OHV use trails and then some of those trails have width restrictions that may allow motorcycles but not ATVs/SXSs. You also need to purchase an OHV stamp through CPW in order to use your ATV/SXS on these trails.

OHV permit for non-residents:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In Cal. not all dirt roads are considered off road ATV roads/trails. Always check the area you will be in for laws.