ATV TRACKS

Wrench

WKR
I have experience with Snowcats and they dont sidehill worth a darn. Straight up, straight down. Id imagine the ATV's would be similar.

Going that far in, unless on a flat good road, id go snowmobile.
Mine takes everything I threw it at well....it's no mtn sled, but for utility work it rocks.

Wrench

WKR
I don’t have experience but I have heard of machines having overheating Issues running tracks.
Mine had 2.5 humans and gear plus kids on sled running up fresh clear cuts all day without issue. Mine is a 700 polaris for reference.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both. The people around here (ND and MN) usually agree that the tracks rob about 200cc's from the ATV's effective power. That's why they tend to suck up a ton of fuel too. So by that I mean, don't put them on anything smaller than a 500cc wheeler. For going those kinds distances, I would recommend the snowmobile. And to get around the noise and smell of a 2 stroke, consider one of the newer 4 stroke powered machines. All in all, the tracked wheelers are beasts. Like a 4 wheel drive personal tractor. And if you get one really stuck, just leave it til spring.....LOL

LaHunter

WKR
Not looking to buy but Curious does a Honda with gears spin these tracks as good as a belt driven machine ?
The issue that I have had with Honda 4-wheelers (carburetor) is that they really suffer at elevation in the mountains. I have never run tracks, but I'm not sure that my 500 Foreman would have enough power to run them at 8,500' or higher going up much of an incline.

Mine had 2.5 humans and gear plus kids on sled running up fresh clear cuts all day without issue. Mine is a 700 polaris for reference.
Been a couple of years since this thread, mind giving an update on the Polaris with tracks? How's the long term effect been on the quad and have you had any issues with the tracks so far?

Also, does 700cc work pretty good for the tracks? How do they handle on trails that are rutted up and real icy, but not much for fresh powder or pack down? Thanks bud.

walleyes

FNG
Been thinking a set of tracks too but what is holding me back is the time I use them. Fall moose. It is alway just below freezing and still lots of mud around. Given you aren’t able to parked it anywhere heated for the night what are the tracks going to be like in the morning?

Wrench

WKR
Been a couple of years since this thread, mind giving an update on the Polaris with tracks? How's the long term effect been on the quad and have you had any issues with the tracks so far?

Also, does 700cc work pretty good for the tracks? How do they handle on trails that are rutted up and real icy, but not much for fresh powder or pack down? Thanks bud.
They are just like tires.

Ches

FNG
I don't have either but have been in UTV's with tracks Ice fishing and they go thru anything. But saying that, if you are going 40 miles round trip, I would think snowmobile would be the way to go. Just my thought.