ATV use

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Limiting yourselves to designated roads makes sense in places like Western US where roads are a plenty and rarely can you hike more than 50 miles in a straight line without running into another road.

That said up here in Alaska like Hodgeman stated our road system is EXTREMELY limited. ATVs open up the country and spread hunters out in an extremely access restricted state. ATVs in my view are merely another tool in which to use. Up here we have jet boats, ocean boats, planes, and ATVs all which are used to access more remote areas of our giant state that has extremely limited road system especially when compared to Western US. Its hard to convey the vastness of Alaska if you've never seen it or flown over it. If ATVs weren't allowed almost everyone (those in the best shape or not) would be restricted to the 5-10 miles off our limited road system mainly because I don't care how good of shape you are in, most sane people are not going to hoof a moose more than 5-10 miles.

Personally I own two ATVs and 3 snomachines (snowmobiles for those in the lower 48) and use them to access different areas of the state in which to begin my hiking often times. That said I spend a large portion of the hunting season in non-motorized areas as well hiking. But to say they "they should be restricted to the fullest extent" is a bit too much of a blanket statement to apply to each and every situation. I believe ATVs have their place in hunting.

Luke,

I agree but I think this was oriented towards the lower 48 and wilderness areas. I have hunted off from snowmachines in Alaska and walking 20 miles to the cabin probably wouldn't have been feasible.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I have to agree, as much as i dislike them, it sure would be nice to have one to drive on rough roads where id rather not take the truck.

7mag.

WKR
As far as wilderness area's, they should NEVER be in a wilderness area. In Washington, you can't even use a chain saw in a wilderness area, not even to fight fire. Wilderness area's should be on foot or horseback only. Except maybe Alaska, there are obviously different circumstances up there.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

I agree but I think this was oriented towards the lower 48 and wilderness areas. I have hunted off from snowmachines in Alaska and walking 20 miles to the cabin probably wouldn't have been feasible.

Maybe so. I just don't see what the big deal on ATV use is. Its merely another tool. Most of my hunts don't use them as I can access some pretty good areas without them, but I certainly wouldn't want my ideas of hardly using them for the most part forced on someone else that likes to use their ATVs. I can see where in the lower 48 you are rarley more than 10-15 miles from a road somewhere it might make sense to limit them as they are "needed". But up here you can go hundreds of miles and still never run into a road.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I bet. Wisconsin isn't known for having a bunch of giant mountains and rivers that tend to dampen where ATVs can go. :D Trust me I'd rather dump $5K in to the best backpacking gear I could get than have a $5K ATV. But sometimes is nice to drive 15-20 miles off the road and THEN begin your 15-20 mile hike. :D

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
No question in AK they have a place. Even some remote Western states for accessing roads that are hard on vehicles it is understandable. Here in WI there isn't a need for them for hunting. There are very few places in this state you could go 5 miles and not run into a road. Yes some, but very few. Those who want to haul their 100# bags of corn around will claim the need for them, but that's it. My 2011 buck came from an area that is 40 minutes of walking in hunting clothes. He dressed 226# and I got him out just fine with my legs. My 2008 buck dressed 252# and came a 1/4 mile from the same location as this past falls buck. I got him out solo also leg power only.