ATV use

Lawnboi

WKR
How do you guys view ATV's?

I personally dont really care for them and have zero want for one. I don't care if they are used on trails, but there are alot of places where there are trails everywhere for them, along with that alot of guys seem to make thier own trails, which gets really frustrating.

Just curious how many guys use atv's and how many like to carry camp on thier back like i do.

If i see an atv on an unmarked trail where it dosnt belong the tires may not be so safe :) That pretty much sums up how I feel about them.

dotman

WKR
My retired parents ride all over CO on them, their atv is giving them so much joy. As long as they are used legally they are good in my book. There is a ton of land with trails they can be used on but even a ton more where they can't. We all have to beable to enjoy the outdoors and there are places setup for this. I think they are just one more option for enjoying the outdoors and glad they get my parents out into country they otherwise would no longer go into.

ckleeves

WKR
As long as it's on a legal open trail I have no issue with them at all. Closed trail use I hate and will not hesitate to confront the user. Colorado has closed tons of trails in an area I hunt and it has made the elk hunting way better in those areas so I don't mind the areas that still have open trails it really concentrates the road hunters!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
ckleeves sums up why I'd rather not have them around hunting. anywhere they are off limits and people obey, hunting is usually better.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine and use it as another way to enjoy the outdoors. Just like a backpacker who leaves garbage in the mountains, don't let a few A-holes on ATV's ruin your perception of a super enjoyable sport. Sure easier to ride my wheeler to a distant trailhead than beat my truck up getting there. I dang near fired off a round when some wheelers came riding up the trail I had hiked up and was sitting next to a few years ago deer hunting. Idiots will be idiots.

7mag.

WKR
I love my ATV, and I ride it all the time. I follow the rules, and I have yet to use it for hunting. I would rather walk in. We have used them a couple times in the past, when we got an animal to a jeep trail, we hauled the animals back to camp from there. I don't make my own trails, or ride on trails that are off limits. The people that do really make me mad.

littlebuf

Banned
cant stand them and think they should be restricted to furthest extent possible. i.e same rules as any other vehicle,on road use only (open roads no behind gate driving) or orv park. that would pretty much weed them out of our wilderness and forest.i do view atvs and there riders in a negative light because more often then not its the "A-holes" and not the few good ones. i know 7mag personaly and know he is a respectable rider/hunter and im sure theres more many more like him,but theres even more that are not.atv's ruin any area there allowed in period, for good riders and non riders alike

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
7mag, I see your from Washington. I was born and raised there. You probably are very aware of the "green dot" system. Nothing like parking at an intersection of a major road and hiking in, then having to get off the road as a logging truck comes by. Frustrating.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been disappointed when they make wilderness areas and close roads that have been there for 50 years. At the same time I hate when people tear up pristine land. Washington is a prime example. When the "green dot" system began in the 80's they closed many roads that I had ridden and enjoyed. Seems ridiculous to close a road to a wheeler but let logging trucks run it. An area I hunted elk in that had been closed for years had a big dozed road the next year and stripped the year after. Hard for ATV's to follow rules that don't apply to everybody. Here in Nevada you would be doing a LOT of walking or tearing up rigs without a wheeler. Much open country. I can run a hundred miles in a day on my wheeler. Explore old mines and cabins. I don't ruin areas doing that.

R

rebecca francis

I love having ATV's to play with my family and to do work around the house. But we never take them hunting. And I agree with Vegas Hunter, there are always people who won't follow the rules...but it is a great activity for those who do. And I take it back, I hunted deer one day in AZ this year on ATV's. It was really fun.....but we stayed on the roads and followed the rules.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like to each his/her own, as long as you use them where it is legal ride away!!!! I can use my truck to get most of the deer I shoot but I don't because I choose to drag them out. But then I hunt with a recurve or long bow and don't frown on those that use a compound or rifle. Follow the rules and if legal hunt with any legal method u want. You have your path I have mine. Support me and I'll support you and stand against those that want to take away our rights.

hodgeman

WKR
I don't really care for wheelers, but up here we have so little road infrastructure they almost become a necessary evil. I use mine on established trails to access where I start hunting.

Lots of guys just driving and gunning on wheelers without regard to the land or how they're effecting other hunters though. My preference is walking in a closed area hunt.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Amen broken arrow. Last time I drew a tag for deer I used my wheeler. Rolled it and broke my shoulder, my rifle stock AND scope. Retribution for those of you that don't like them. :)

7mag.

WKR
cant stand them and think they should be restricted to furthest extent possible. i.e same rules as any other vehicle,on road use only (open roads no behind gate driving) or orv park. that would pretty much weed them out of our wilderness and forest.i do view atvs and there riders in a negative light because more often then not its the "A-holes" and not the few good ones. i know 7mag personaly and know he is a respectable rider/hunter and im sure theres more many more like him,but theres even more that are not.atv's ruin any area there allowed in period, for good riders and non riders alike

You're absolutely right, Trevor. That's why I keep mine in the garage during hunting season. There have been times when there was one or two in camp, used mostly for hauling firewood, and twice for bringing an animal back to camp after we got it to the road. No one I hunt with hunts off of an ATV. We leave camp on foot. I prefer to hunt where there are no roads anyway, and breaking an animal down and packing it out is part of the experience.

7mag.

WKR
7mag, I see your from Washington. I was born and raised there. You probably are very aware of the "green dot" system. Nothing like parking at an intersection of a major road and hiking in, then having to get off the road as a logging truck comes by. Frustrating.

Yes it is frustrating, but, they are making a living, a hard living, and I am recreating. Besides, I've had loggers haul out my buck for me, and give me a ride to my truck. They are usually helpful, any way they can be, as long as we understand that they have the right to be there too. (I'm talking about loggers, not ATV's)

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I can see it being nice to have one to drive on rough roads when you dont want to beat up the truck.

I guess i view ATV's the same as i view snowmobiles here. An annoyance for the most part. I hate icefishing after theres a good amount of ice only cause every idiot is out zipping around the lake, half in the bag on thier sled.

Nothing wrong with the guys that use them the right way. But i do wish states would limit thier use more, some areas you just cant get away from them.

If they are allowed then so be it. If they are taken where they shouldn't then the rider should be fined as deemed by the law. I have one and it is a tool. I have never used it for hunting except getting out deer on private ground. I use mine to plow snow mostly and the battery is usually on the brink due to lack of use. After riding dirt bikes a four wheeler is boring. I do thank the guys in camp that gave us rides in Colorado when we didn't have them. My four wheelers are leather boots.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I am with a lot of you guys. Everybody would be better off my limiting themselves to designated roads. When people are driving all over the place it doesn't do anyone any good as far as having a successful hunt.

I don't have one and would rarely have a use for one.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I love my ATV and I use it a lot. However they have no business off of established roads and I hunt where they are prohibited. Unless someone has a disabled exception ATVs should never be allowed off of established roads, not even trails, during hunting season. I have used my ATV to save wear and tare on my truck I don't any more. To those that still do here is what I recommend. Buy an old 4x4 I picked up a suburban for a lot less than another ATV would have cost I don't care if it gets wear and tare, it can haul a lot more gear and makes for a much better place to sleep than any ATV. It costs about 35 bucks a year for registration and 60 for insurance a year. The only draw back is the price of gas but I never haul the atv any more.