Atv/utv’s?

bmf0713

WKR
Was thinking about bringing my UTV out west this year for a hunt. Not sure what unit or even what state. I have a few points in different states and still the option of OTC tags. Still doing some research. I would like to do a mountain hunt for mule deer or elk and weather can be from one extreme to the next and thought it might be easier to navigate a UTV if weather is not cooperating. What are everyone’s opinions on using a UTV for mountain hunting? Plan was using truck to base of mountain then utv on legal roads until we hit a trail head or dead end 2 track, then back packing in. Some forums I read sound like a lot of people dislike them and it’s usually because of law breakers taking them where they are not suppose to. I follow the law and don’t wanna destroy public lands or piss anyone off. Are the use of atv/utv’s ruined by the assholes or is atv use still accepted by other fellow hunter’s if used smart and leagally? If it’s gonna help my hunt that’s good or if it’s gonna piss a lot of people of that’s bad and I’ll leave it at home.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
There's been several times I wished that I would've drug one along on an out of state hunt. A lot of the 2 track roads in the west where I want to pack in from are (A) rough and rocky and/or (B) greasy with any kind of precipitation. It sometimes sucks if you go into a new area, and have to resort to plan B, C, etc, and it takes you half a day to get there in a pickup vs an hour on an atv... or its so greasy you just can't get there in a pickup. As long as you're using an ATV/UTV lawfully and courteously, you shouldn't have a problem.

Jbehredt

WKR
They’re nice to have in some places. In one area we hunt there’s miles of a 50” legal atv trail that would otherwise be mostly out of reach. Another spot we do as you were considering and leave the truck at the bottom of the mtn for day hunts. 13 miles of bumpy forest road is a lot faster in the sxs than in the truck. A lot faster. Follow the law and be willing to pick up hitch hikers in camo and you’ll make friends.

Last edited:
Same here in my thoughts and previous wishes. First year out to Colorado, ATV's were legal where we hunted. People abused them. Taking them places they didn't belong, etc.... New place and they are only legal on FS roads and approved trails. I like that a lot better. Because there are no approved trails where I am at. So, the machines stay on the road where they belong.

With that said, many of the roads where I hunt has been beat to death with gas activity. They get down right slick, slimy, and impassible with rain or snow. It knocks out a huge area of country to not be able to access it when weather doesn't cooperate. So, I plan on taking my ATV again so I can use it instead of beating around in my truck on those wash boarded roads when dry. Or, the slick mess when they are wet and getting hammered with traffic by road hunters. Plus to get to a bunch more ground I previously had no way of hunting without spiking in 5-6 miles without risk of beating my truck to pieces. When you hunt alone, those miles add up if you have to cover them all on your feet with meat.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Looks like the ranger is coming out west with me this year.

Rich M

WKR
I did some research where I'm planning on hunting - ATVs are legal on roads and also legal to assist in retrieving game as long as you don't tear anything up. Planning to confirm all this prior to the trip - just need to draw...

If you can legally use it, why wouldn't you?