ATX Regrets? Considering upgrade

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Well its that time of year where I am looking to upgrade some of my gear, and I love optics. I currently own an ATS 65 HD with 25-50 wide eyepiece and really, its excellent. Who here has made the jump to the ATX modular system and thoroughly enjoys the optical improvements and modular features for hunting? The optics addict in me want's the ATX, but I am not sure it will be any more effective than the ATS 65mm in the field.

Has anybody on here moved on from the ATX to something different for hunting? Sorry to come to Rokslide for Optics Therapy, but im here.

pbcarch

WKR
Take this for what it's worth from me in spotters.

Had a vortex razor 65 ,old version....went to an ATX with 85m

Added the 65m lense (thinking for back packnuse). This year I added a magnifier and btx. BTW I have have been buying factory demo , saves a ton

I am in way deep here :)

I have nothing other to compare to other than my old vortex. In my eyes the ATX and now btx offer incredible viewing, sharpness/detail and very low light capabilities. The btx gives me the big bino capability that I wanted. Went back and forth with a 15 bino but ultimately decided I will need to use a tripod anyway so why not use my "system" .

I use my optics for backpack archery and shooting at range. Will go out rifle hunting someday but right now it's all bow.

Unless I fall into financial ruin I will most likely never buy a spotter again, other than the 95 lense

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear that the ATX/BTX system works well for you and is really functional for hunting purposes. My hunting style is similar to yours, spot and stalk often a ways from my vehicle.

I too have decided I will be purchasing demos or used because i have looked through quite a few swaro products and have yet to encounter a true "lemon." I just dont see how a demo product could have compromised glass/optics.

I like that you can adapt your ATX spotter to your hunt and go from there. I am almost certain I would start out with the 65mm objective, 85mm if I could find a deal but it's still big for a true backpack hunt. You willing to share your source for demo ATX products? Eurooptic?

pbcarch

WKR
Yes i have bought the majority of demo from Europtics, one from Midway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
And it sounds like all of the Demo Products you have purchased arrived without any issues, Good as new basically? I'm glad to hear that because I have been considering going the demo route to save $$$.

pbcarch

WKR
All demo A products or factory sample ones o could not tell the difference. They are labeled right from the factory.
The BTX was labeled demo b unit. It had a scuff mark on the outside housing (its noted that b units may have cosmetic marks) but it functions perfectly no issues at all on glass.
It save me a bunch and I would do it again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Im glad to hear it Cody, did you purchase the 95mm objective right off the bat? I understand why that would be the most impressive and awesome objective to use. I want to stay pretty light in my equipment so I don't leave gear at home, I am almost afraid to look through a 95mm objective for that reason, I'll end up packing it and be screwed once I harvest. But that's good, another ATX buyer without regrets... Anybody go else from a Swaro Spotter ATS/STS ATM/STM to an ATX/STX and feel it was worth it/not worth it? Sounds like a lot of people prefer the eye relief and viewing comfort on the "X" series scopes.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
RMeyers1295 I will have to sell my ATS before upgrading to ATX, I can't afford to make the jump without the sale. I am planning to put it up for sale this summer when I have saved a bit to go all in on the ATX. I will most likely post my ATS for sale here when I do as it seems people have good results selling gear on Rokslide.

Brendan

WKR
Shop used if you can. I got great deals on my ATX 95, and my EL 10x42's from members here on Rokslide. I was able to verify warranty status for both with Swaro, and subsequently have the warranty transferred to my name. Saved a bunch over new, everything was near-new quality, and I could get my money back or very close to it if I ever decide to sell.

There is a 20 oz difference going from 65 to 95, that was my reasoning for going with the 95. 20 ounces isn't going to kill me, and if I don't need that much magnification, binos on the tripod are pretty damn good. Although the 95 is big - it's a cannon... Would like to try the BTX65 though.

Also, I personally would upgrade my binos first to alpha glass, along with stud, bino adapter, tripod, and pan head from outdoorsmans. After I had all those, then I'd consisder spotters.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, sound like I will have to stay glued to the classifieds this summer to find an ATX, I've always bought optics brand new. I'm encouraged to hear many others buying used and saving cash that way. My current setup is 10x42 SLC's on a Slik 634 Tripod with Sirui VA-5 Pan, it's a decent setup not quite as solid as an outdoorsman's setup I don't think, but relatively lightweight. And I believe that setup would be able to support 80+ mm spotter quite well, it handles the 65mm ATS easily. The ATX ability to switch out objectives is what it really comes down too, that versatility is awesome. Overall it sounds like guys are thrilled with the 95mm objective. Most ATX discussions lead back to that 95mm being the true champ. But Pbcarch is rockin the 85mm and 65mm and seems to love those as well. Sounds like there isn't a bad objective to choose from really.

Stid2677

WKR
I have owned and tried several brands over years, have not taken anything else since buying my ATX95 four years ago and I mostly backpack hunt.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned and tried several brands over years, have not taken anything else since buying my ATX95 four years ago and I mostly backpack hunt.

Do you own any of the other ATX objective sizes or just the 95? It seems like the majority of ATX owners, at least guys in the forums, reach for the 95mm more often than any other. Whether they are hunting close to the truck or not.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I had an ATS 65hd. Loved the scope, but the BTX intrigued me with my hunting area. Purchased it and after a bit of use decided I no longer needed my ATS.

I use the 65mm. I wanted the 85mm, but circumstances at the time didn't work out.

Never looked through the ATX though. I would imagine if you're not in it for the versatility of switching objectives and eye pieces your gain would be to marginal for the cost?

Stid2677

WKR
Do you own any of the other ATX objective sizes or just the 95? It seems like the majority of ATX owners, at least guys in the forums, reach for the 95mm more often than any other. Whether they are hunting close to the truck or not.

I own another Swaro spotter too, an ATM with the 65mm. So I only have the ATX 95mm and the Extender that they sell for it. That thing is so awesome after you look through it,, nothing else will do...... Just MHO,,, saved me so much wasted hiking.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the responses, Its good to hear opinions from guys that have made the same switch I am considering. Its a big investment, and taking advantage of the modularity: multiple objectives/eyepieces, 95mm, Extender, seems to be what guys find "worth it." I need to get a second job and make this happen......

fatrascal

WKR
I upgraded from the atm 65 to the atx 65. I still had my atm when I got the atx and compared them side by side. I could not see an optical difference with my eyes and I looked long and hard at detail on leaves, trees both close up and far away. The atx is a little heavier than the atm. Later I got the 95mm objective and then the BTX. I have no regrets whatsoever. 65mm for backpack hunting and 95mm for scouting from a truck. And then you put on the BTX. At first it was an aggravation changing around eye pieces and objectives and the BTX was cool but seemed uneeded and no great advantage. But after using it for awhile you dont want to go back to a single eyepiece because it seems dark and awkward. That BTX is glassing harmony. Yes that sounds weird but you just have to try one out for awhile and see for yourself. No regrets here. Fatrascal.

ericF

WKR
It takes some pre planning and available funds, but I did the Cabela's gift cards stacked with Active Junky and Cabela's MasterCard 10% offer to get over 30% off on an atx 95, 65, and angled objective last may. I don't even have a Cabela's card and put everything on the discounted gift cards, but just put my buddies card number in to get the 10% offer. The Cabela's gift cards aren't quite as attractive right now on raise, but I was averaging 15 to 18% off on the gift cards last year.