ATX Regrets? Considering upgrade

I'm glad you posted this as I'm completely torn on a 1 spotter option (Kowa 77 vs. ATX 65/85) for Alaska. I've also looked through the ATS 65 and while impressive, it would be nice to either have a slightly bigger objective (77mm) and WA eyepiece or the ability to swap from the 65 to 85 based on the type of hunt...torn I tell you.

Any idea what the true weights (w/scope caps) of the ATX 65 and Kowa 77 are?

My ATX 65mm without caps is 56.4oz.

With the caps on it's 57.8oz.

61A1A426-7FEA-420B-A67B-AC723CD75972.jpeg
8CDBF9C0-872D-4107-8ED2-909FC0B408EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Any regrets with this scope as a do-everything spotter in AK?

So far I've mostly just been watching and photographing birds, and taking celestial photos. But no regrets so far! I've done a couple of backpacking trips with it in the last three weeks while trout fishing and poking around for grouse, and I think it will work great once it's time to scout for mountain goats and alpine deer hunt.

tdot

WKR
For the guys asking about balance. I tried a 140mm plate, 100mm plate and a 70mm plate. I found the 100mm plate was probably the best all round size. I had enough for/aft movement to balance anything up to the BTX/65, which is probably the most out of balance combination in the system.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
For the guys asking about balance. I tried a 140mm plate, 100mm plate and a 70mm plate. I found the 100mm plate was probably the best all round size. I had enough for/aft movement to balance anything up to the BTX/65, which is probably the most out of balance combination in the system.

Thanks tdot, Yeah it looks like the whole system is a bit back heavy with the exception of the 95mm objective. Sounds like you can get it balanced pretty easily with the right plate/tripod head.

tdot

WKR
Thanks tdot, Yeah it looks like the whole system is a bit back heavy with the exception of the 95mm objective. Sounds like you can get it balanced pretty easily with the right plate/tripod head.

My lightest head is the Really Right Stuff BPC16, it's something like 5 ounces, $150 and with the balance plates it balances every Combination I have. So it definitely doesnt take a huge head.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
When counting grams/oz like for sheep, granted it might seem silly when I carry the 95mm, but still worth noting, that the ATX objectives all have Arca-Swiss compatible feet on the scope itself, so can run it directly to the tripod head if also Arca-Swiss. When I went away from my old manfrotto, still have it for back up, to a Gitzo, I haven't messed with plates even once for the scope. Have for cameras, but that cute little swaro foot fits right into the head.

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
As someone currently on the keto diet...I'd appreciate you not posting pics of blueberry muffins anymore!

Nice spotter btw

I was gonna say, the ATX 65 looks good but those Muffins look fantastic :ROFLMAO:

OP
B

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody on this thread actually using the STX Eyepiece, if so how is it? Seems like the vast majority of "X Series owners" run the ATX Eyepiece and or BTX. I have been considering going to a straight eyepiece simply for ease of switching between binos and spotter with almost no tripod adjustment...

I used to have the ATX 95. I sold it!!! It was hard to get a fine focus at distance with no lower gear ratio. It drove me crazy! Then the field of view was poor vs. the competition. I since bought the Zeiss Harpia 95 and cant believe the difference. Field of view is unbelievable. Fine focus is like butter. Then the higher power light capabilities are amazing. I have tried the BTX as well which was comfortable using both eyes. Having zero ability to zoom in or out doesn't make me want it either. Go take a look at them side by side and you will see right away what I am talking about.