Audad hunt.

A friend of mine has just invited me down to hunt 2500 acres in texas for Audad, said we can go anytime. So when is the best time to go?

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
You did not mention where in Texas. In the Trans Pecos area the rut starts in mid-september and is pretty much wound down by the beginning of November. The only advantage of hunting in the rut is the big rams are easier to find because they hang with the ewes. As the rut winds down mature rams tend to go off in smaller bachelor groups and they can be harder to locate. On 2500 acres you may be able to find them anytime. It depends on how rough the country is.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from Idaho I’d hunt February-April. It is hot May-October and you will be competing with deer hunters November-January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second what others have said about January-Febuary.The only aoudad hunt that I’ve been on was the second week of January on a large private ranch in west Texas for free range sheep. It was one of the best experiences I’ve had hunting. The weather was in the 30s and the wind always blows in that part of the world. I really enjoyed having something to hunt during a time of year when I am not typically hunting. Those sheep blend in really well to that red rock. I hope you end up killing the sheep of your dreams. Enjoy the experience!

Attachments

• 1EC6ABD3-F15F-4921-A187-D7273A79C946.jpeg
    1EC6ABD3-F15F-4921-A187-D7273A79C946.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 62AFA0F7-FC7E-43DD-9568-B5C83567A3C7.jpeg
    62AFA0F7-FC7E-43DD-9568-B5C83567A3C7.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 48
OP
HuntInWild88
You did not mention where in Texas. In the Trans Pecos area the rut starts in mid-september and is pretty much wound down by the beginning of November. The only advantage of hunting in the rut is the big rams are easier to find because they hang with the ewes. As the rut winds down mature rams tend to go off in smaller bachelor groups and they can be harder to locate. On 2500 acres you may be able to find them anytime. It depends on how rough the country is.

Honestly Im not sure where its at. Haven't gotten into that much detail. I have seen a few pictures from the rams his family has taken. Seems it isnt much problem finding nice rams. Im guessing its going to have to wait untill next year though. Ill be out of country from October to April.

What Eastex said. Rut is typically Sept to early October. Rams will be tailing ewes hard this time of year. It can still be brutally hot during this time of year or cold, as Texas weather is frequently bipolar. I shot mine during the rut. Dang near died. Forecast was over cast, possible rain ,temps in the 70s. Planned accordingly. Instead temps were mid 90’s and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Ran out of water real quick then things got real. Even with all that, by far probably the best hunt I have been on. It’s the best and cheapest hunt going in US IMO.

If you are hunting in the area of Ozona, Sonora, down into Del Rio and along the Devils River the rut seems to be full blown the first week of September into early/mid October. If you are in far west Texas say Big Bend, Van Horn, Trans Pecos it kicks off a hair later typically the 2 to 3rd week of September and runs through October.

For the winter time early February to mid February we sometimes see a second rut from un-bred ewes or ones that lost there lambs. The cooler weather is nice for the winter hunts but during the rut any decent sized herd typically has a mature ram in it.

Good luck on your hunt.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Just guessing here but 2500 acres is prob Texas hill country rather than west Texas. If it is west Texas you will most likely hunt a feeder cause for aoudad to just stick around on 2500 acres there would be really hit and miss. West Texas is big country with most huge ranches and swaths of land, 2500 is a small lil property in the terilingua/devil river/big bend region. Let us know where it is. I know there’s some fantastic aoudad hunting in central/ hill country Texas. But it def doesn’t feel like sheep hunting if that’s what your after. It’s more like whitetail hunting for Dads

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
i have hunted Aoudad in Texas one time around mid January. it was a success and i got to meet old friends again.

adkhunter

FNG
Late November to late February and you’ll still sweat you 🥜 off. And I have to agree with BK as they will probably be coming to a feeder. In which case you’ll only sweat a little 😆.

But ya can’t go wrong no matter when you get out there. It will still be a great hunt!