AudioBooks

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone else listen to AudioBooks when doing cardio, working out or before sleep when backpacking?

I started a few months ago and have become addicted to them....to lazy to pack a book and read I guess:)

So, what are some AudioBooks you guys would suggest?

I used to listen to them years ago when I still had my hearing.

I really liked the Dirk Pitt series, but it would depend on what genre you like.

Man you guys got it so good with the little Ipods now, you can store thousands of songs, books and pictures on a little tiny device that fits in your pocket, I used to have to pack around a briefcase full of cassette tapes just to get 60 or 70 of them.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We listen to audio books on the iPhone during long drives, and most evenings before bed when we backpack. It's nice to have a way to unwind, and you can download several in case you finish more than one or have a bad weather day that keeps us in tent. I discovered a free online lending program for audiobooks via our Alaska public library, but I believe other states may participate as well. More info is available by searching listenAlaska, and the app you need is called overdrive media.
we typically choose nonfiction survival stories and biographies, though we listened to several Jack London books as well. Seemed fairly ironic to listen to White fang on a sheep/caribou combo hunt where Luke also shot a wolf :)

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like listening to audiobooks. I started when I worked 2 hours away from home, it really helped making that drive everyday.

OBP

WKR
I've never done audiobooks but I have ibooks on my phone loaded up, I enjoy reading for a while at night before I go to sleep when backpacking, especially on solo trips. I've read most of the books by WEB Griffin, he writes military fiction, mostly historical, and like them a lot. I do need to find some new series or authors to check out though.

swat8888

WKR
John Dies at the End and the sequel This Book is Full of Spiders.....those two got me from Arizona to Alabama then Alabama to Minnesota....I only listen to audiobooks when driving.

Floorguy

WKR
I just got into them as well perfect for while I am at work running a huge floor grinder. World War Z was good and then I just finished Atlas Shrugged it was good for almost 13 hours of driving and a week and a half of work.

Ive got about 6000 to 8000 hours of audio books and get them off audible.com its really nice because you get 2 books for like 25$ a month so I run 2 accounts. If you like zombie book check out day by day armageddon. If your into fantacy check out the Robert Jordan wheel of time series, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Goodkind, and the Iron druid chronicles. If your into earth and space battles etc check out The Legacy of the Aldenata series its very good. Ive got others if anyone wants more suggestions let me know..

Manosteel

WKR
I listen to audio books all the time when I drive. A lot of my work requires me to drive to remote areas of the province and it really helps pass the time. I love sci- fi fantasy stuff so I highly recommend the Robert jordon wheel of time series and the Stephan king dark tower books.

If you are into western books I would recommend Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It is a pretty long book, but very good. There are I think 3 more books in the series. I really enjoyed them.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have an audible subscription and listen to librivox as well.

I'm a big reader, sometimes I actually try to leave a book at home cause I can easily stay up for a few hours reading a book. When you've cut your sleep from 6 hours to 4 hours because of a book you learn to either bring boring books or leave em at home.

Driving a lot I should really pick up some audiobooks I think I'd enjoy it!.

Mike

2rocky

WKR
Haven't done much of the audiobooks, but I'm thinking that the Cormac McCarthy books might be good to hear. They can be tough to read sometimes.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I check them out at the local library. I am a HUGE Vince Flynn fan. If you like a story where the bad guys get what's coming, inluding politicians. Start with Term Limits and listen/read them in order.

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
There are many options, just depends on what you like to read. I have a few I've finished but here's a list based upon diff cats
The first download and usually free - The Bible
Sci Fi - The Road (boring read, try audio), One second After, chariots of the gods
Teen - The Hobbit series (audio would be good, but really long), Hunger Games series (very good)
History - Undaunted Courage (lewis and clark expedition), Black Elk Speaks (good but audio would be better)
Non-ficition - Anything Clive Cussler (Sahara, movie was a book first), The last templar