Aug. 30 - Sep. 8 2020 CO Archery Elk GMU 31 / 21 / 22, 62 / 65, or 81 / 80

Gapmaster

WKR
If you keep putting the unit number in your comments... you can bet there will be plenty of company.

Elk are where they are. Just depends on what you want to hunt. Find a unit that fits your idea of good terrain and go for it. There’s plenty of info on the web to give you a realistic idea of what you are getting into. Just remember... it’s always steeper and bigger than google earth makes it look. Good luck!

OP
hikeswithbow
If you keep putting the unit number in your comments... you can bet there will be plenty of company.

Elk are where they are. Just depends on what you want to hunt. Find a unit that fits your idea of good terrain and go for it. There’s plenty of info on the web to give you a realistic idea of what you are getting into. Just remember... it’s always steeper and bigger than google earth makes it look. Good luck!
We might as well just pick something scenic so we will get a nice view to go with our tag soup we are 90% likely to be eating. :LOL:

Gapmaster

WKR
We might as well just pick something scenic so we will get a nice view to go with our tag soup we are 90% likely to be eating. :LOL:
I’ve hunted about 10 different units in CO, I’ve never been in one that didn’t have beautiful scenery or elk for that matter. They’re all gorgeous in their own way and you just have to find the elk.

Remember where you are and who you are with. Enjoy the surroundings and the camaraderie! The hunt is why you are there. Good luck

I would say that there is adequate roadway pressure but possible to get away form the crowds

chasewild

WKR
Good luck in 65 this year. It's going to be hammered with people due to the SW draw unit changes.

For the next five years at least for that matter.

OP
hikeswithbow
Good luck in 65 this year. It's going to be hammered with people due to the SW draw unit changes.

For the next five years at least for that matter.
I am worried about that myself. My old boss gave me some spots to hunt near Pagosa in 78 that I of course cannot hunt in 2020.

Would 62, 81, and 80 not also be getting hammered if 65 is? Would you have any recommendations for units to cast my attention to?

chasewild

WKR
I am worried about that myself. My old boss gave me some spots to hunt near Pagosa in 78 that I of course cannot hunt in 2020.

Would 62, 81, and 80 not also be getting hammered if 65 is? Would you have any recommendations for units to cast my attention to?

This thread is exploding with unit numbers. Please request pms.

bwlacy

WKR
All the OTC units get pressure. Some may get a little more with several units now on the draw list. Like others have said, pick a unit that has the terrain you want, drive time, whatever it may be and go hunt. Stay mobile until you find some elk, then maybe pack in for a few days. It's all a learning curve, and it can be different every year.

If you have never been out there and done it there is a big learning curve. Just jump in with both feet and don't over think it. Have fun! :)

Every unit in Colorado is going to have a whole bunch of dudes hunting. There are elk in every unit. The harvest statistics are bullshit at best. Just pick a few spots and start walking.

There are leftovers in a bunch of those southwest units and otc pressure is overblown.

OP
hikeswithbow
This thread is exploding with unit numbers. Please request pms.
In the interest of not blowing up someones favorite spot, please PM me if you have any direct information about OTC archery in SW Colorado.

I have received some great information thus far. I cannot thank you guys enough for the help and encouragement. Thank you guys!

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I hunted 62 we sat just over from the Divide road and let the hunters chase the bulls out of unit 61 right into our lap. It was unreal.