August 1st Doe Hunt

Hey everyone, just grabbed a tag to hunt a doe in Utah August 1st to the 14th before Archery begins on the 17th for elk and mule deer.

I went out scouting over the weekend, got to the spot I liked on the maps around 8am and sure enough saw a bunch of them. The only problem is they were all bucks.... I spent a good amount of time down there looking and couldn't turn up one doe. Just tons of bachelor groups and solitary older males.

I'm use to mule deer and elk running in bachelor herds in August but I've always seen pronghorn does with bucks from July to October.

What's going on here with their habits? Calling the biologist tomorrow but thought I would ask here first. Included a video of one of the bachelor herds for you.

I wonder if the does and fawns are staying closer to water while the males are odd doing their thing? Did you check any water holes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
StopMakingSense
Yes I did, I watched the water for a couple of hours and saw nothing but they have more than ample water here this year, it's nuts. I'll check with the biologist, I also wasn't there at first light.

Rich M

WKR
I did that in WY. Had 4 doe tags, shot 2 yearlings (all look the same) and never saw another legal animal. Was in easy range on 6+ bucks but couldn't touch the trigger.

Swore I'd have a buck license next time I went. All the internet chatter - doe hunting is so fun. Bleh. A couple "any" antelope tags would be perfect.

Bucks are very curious. A few years ago had does out of range and a buck walking in to about 50 yards to check us out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk