August in Colorado Air pad choice

chwebb03

FNG
Headed into the mountains first week of August. Which air pad would you go with? Big Agnes Q Core insulated or Nemo Tensor uninsulated. Will be paired with a Nemo Disco 30. The Big Agnes is 3.5 inches and super comfortable just wondering if it will be too hot being insulated. And then the Tensor is a little lighter? Any input welcomed.

Thanks Guys

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headed into the mountains first week of August. Which air pad would you go with? Big Agnes Q Core insulated or Nemo Tensor uninsulated. Will be paired with a Nemo Disco 30. The Big Agnes is 3.5 inches and super comfortable just wondering if it will be too hot being insulated. And then the Tensor is a little lighter? Any input welcomed.

Thanks Guys
Get a Thermarest Uberlite.

mlgc20

WKR
The Q Core will be fine. I will be using mine in Wyoming in August and Colorado in September. The Q Core is much more comfortable than the Nemo.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
The Q Core will be fine. I will be using mine in Wyoming in August and Colorado in September. The Q Core is much more comfortable than the Nemo.
What's your over all go to pad for backpacking? I'm looking to upgrade for comfort - Sept/Oct use a ugq 20 degree and an LBO from seek outside. Have a exped MW HL just not doing it for me

mlgc20

WKR
What's your over all go to pad for backpacking? I'm looking to upgrade for comfort - Sept/Oct use a ugq 20 degree and an LBO from seek outside. Have a exped MW HL just not doing it for me
My most used pad, and the one I would pick if I could only have one is a Thermarest Neoair Xtherm Max. Super warm and excellent weight for the R value. I use my Q Core when comfort is my priority. And I have a Neoair Uberlite that I use when I am really going ultralight and not worried about warmth.

Everyone is different. I can’t stand my BA pad. I find it super loud. The Tensor is better to me. I really like the Exped pads and find them extremely comfortable. So, my answer was terrible and didn’t offer much other than I like the tensor better than BA.

Vandy321

WKR

Thanks Guys
Take the more comfortable Q core, temps won't be a huge issue, but never say never. if you get too warm, unzip. I've been cold in June at 11-12k feet before. If you're sleeping at 8k, that may be a different story.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I love my Neoair. It's super light, compact, and hardly takes up any room in a pack. Some complain that it's a little noisy but I sleep like a baby!

ty_ms3

FNG
Some people are talking about the Therm-a-Rest Uberlite, but I would go with the XLite myself. It’s only about 4oz heavier, and the R value is a 4.2 opposed to the 2.3 off the Uberlite. I’ve also heard stuff about the Uberlite valve tending to leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
If you’re camping above treeline, I’d go R value of 3 minimum, 4ish better. You can and will often get frosts above treeline, even some snow. Granted, the ground doesnt get that cold with so much sun exposure, but don’t overskimp in the high country as Shit can hit the fan.