August Utah deer units

Dang it they cut some tags in the zone I wanted to draw and deer are down pretty significantly.

Good idea to read that report for anyone interested in Utah this year or in the future.

OP
B
Thanks for the continued feedback. I hadn't look at the stats from the utah dow site instead I built a spreadsheet using info from toprut about stats. I switched my research from info i was getting from OnX maps and Toprut sites. After crossing out units with private land possible issues and other concerns, I ended up with Monroe, Fillmore Beaver, South Yellowstone. And another 10 that were second tier choices. Then I came across another site or maybe it was forum opinions, and I second guessed the all the research and so now I'm starting a new spreadsheet.

When I first looked at the Utah DOW site I will admit the 90 some pages and the uncertainty of definitions of general season, where the units were, and if they overlapped with elk made me turn away and find information elsewhere, Toprut site. I will go back and look at those again with new more confident eyes.

You guys have been a big boost. If ever need Wisconsin whitetail or turkey info I'd be glad to help.

Thanks again. I'll continue to look, but I kind of hope to run into questions that I can bring back to the Rokslide community.

Particular thanks to realunlucky for taking the the time to get me specific answers.
Dave

OP
B
So are general deer tags issued according to points(bonus or preference??) like Colorado does and the LE tages drawn on points(again bonus or pref), but the more points you have the more times your name is in the hat?

I'm thinking that with no points and less than 15 years of hunting left in me that I don't need to bother looking at anything other than general deer. But I'm not confident that I'm reading that right.

And I recall a post above asking me if I had read the regulations. I have, but I will read again now that I have better understanding of a couple key vocab. First pass was a blur not knowing what info was valuable to me yet.

So are general deer tags issued according to points(bonus or preference??) like Colorado does and the LE tages drawn on points(again bonus or pref), but the more points you have the more times your name is in the hat?

I'm thinking that with no points and less than 15 years of hunting left in me that I don't need to bother looking at anything other than general deer. But I'm not confident that I'm reading that right.

And I recall a post above asking me if I had read the regulations. I have, but I will read again now that I have better understanding of a couple key vocab. First pass was a blur not knowing what info was valuable to me yet.

General season is preference points. Look closely at that pdf posted above, looks like some units got hammered by winter.

OP
B
I read it as 55,000 less deer from 2018 post to 2019 post hunt. So winter of 2018 was harsh and this year's tag decrease is looking to adjust for that?

Is there anywhere I can find the total acres in a unit? Would that info even be valuable since there would be differences in carrying capacity of each unit?

It would be nice if I could figure out 1 permit/5,000 acres and then compare to 5 permits/5,000. Of course the habitat quality in those 5,000 acres could vary greatly.

I'm tied close to home until late April so it looks like I've got plenty to keep my busy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read it as 55,000 less deer from 2018 post to 2019 post hunt. So winter of 2018 was harsh and this year's tag decrease is looking to adjust for that?

Is there anywhere I can find the total acres in a unit? Would that info even be valuable since there would be differences in carrying capacity of each unit?

It would be nice if I could figure out 1 permit/5,000 acres and then compare to 5 permits/5,000. Of course the habitat quality in those 5,000 acres could vary greatly.

I'm tied close to home until late April so it looks like I've got plenty to keep my busy.
It doesn't work like that because usually access focuses hunters in certain areas, also if your archery hunting and deer are in the oak brush your opportunities are very limited so that voids some areas for most guys.

Have you used the Utah hunt planner at all? It'll give you lots of information

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another thing you haven't considered. There are units that guys will put in to draw tags having zero interest in hunting that unit. They just want a tag so they can hunt the extended archery season along the Wasatch front. There are units you can draw a NR archery deer tag pretty much every year, it's the muzzy and rifle tags that you aren't going to get on a yearly basis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk