August Utah deer units

Hey all,

I will be new to Utah hunting now that Colorado has changed their starting dates from last full weekend in August to Sept 2nd. Since I am a teacher and school starts on Sept 1st each year in my state, I need to find a new hunt.

Anyhow, I am still young enough to have 10 years of backcountry hunting in me. As far as I can tell Utah is the only option for a state that has a early enough season date. I am somewhat discouraged by reports that Utah can be challenging for nonresidents. However, my other option is golf. So whatever Utah throws at me I'll gladly work with.

Finally to my two questions. I have read through multiple explanations of the points systems and have a very basic idea of what they mean. My first question then is, what should I expect for mule deer hunting opportunities as a non-resident with no points other than the preference point that I applied for in the middle of March. Is it possible with point stuff to hunt DIY every other year? What kind of hunt might that be? I prefer mule deer, but would gladly alternate with elk hunts in off years to learn the unit.

Is there any opportunity this late in the game to get any sort of hunt in this August? In Colorado I'd find a OTC and be happy to be in the mountains. I don't have the budget for Utah landowner tags most likely. Just looking for a place spend a week or two in August with my 17 year old son. I'd even head to the hills with just a camera if I was certain that next August I'd be able to have a decent hunt in that unit. A decent hunt for me would be just seeing deer more days than not and having a 150+ hiding somewhere within a valley or two of the one I'm hunting in. Easy enough in Colorado, but not sure of what to expect in Utah.

Appreciate any insight that Rokslide community can provide. I can definetely say that all of my hunts have been better because of information I've gotten from Rokslide

Thanks,

Dave Peterson
Wisconsin

jswayze1

FNG
Lived in Utah for a couple years but didn't have any hunting opportunities, then moved again, 8 times over 16 years. Just moved to CO last year, trying to throw a dart at the GMU map. Any suggestions on a CO GMU? Thanks

Lived in Utah for a couple years but didn't have any hunting opportunities, then moved again, 8 times over 16 years. Just moved to CO last year, trying to throw a dart at the GMU map. Any suggestions on a CO GMU? Thanks

First post asking for units to hunt. The one your dart hits will do just fine. They all have deer.

Not entirely sure on how often you can hunt as a non resident as a resident here someone who puts in for the general season deer hunt usually draws every year or every other year if there lucky depending on weapon of choice. I’d definitely invest in gohunt if you plan on hunting out of state it will answer a ton of questions you have.

As for opportunities since the draw deadline ended your best bet is to pick up a left over otc if you CAN as a non resident I’m not entirely sure how non residency works. If you scout enough and know how to find deer it’s not all that hard to find 140-150 buck, not to make it sound easy though you will definitely work hard to kill a decent mule deer here on a otc archery hunt.

My dad hunts rifle every other year in Utah as a non resident. I bet there are every year non resident opportunities for a bow hunter. Some states also have december and January hunts for your winter break, especially arizona. I know Nevada does as well.

OP
B
That was quick. Thanks all.

Muley and UT- I have looked through to stats and did a spreadsheet including what I could get free from TopRut, but had to step away for a while because I wasn't confident that I understood what I was looking at. I believe I will be finding some kind of service to help me navigate Utah's system. Free internet, Eastman's, and forum info isn't going to get me all the way to where I want to be, but good place to start. Any suggestions on the best one or is gohunt going to provide all I need?

Researcher - WInter break hunts are very tempting, but I coach during the winter. Glad to hear that someone believes annual archery hunts of some sort is viable.

Mr. Swayze - I agree with Muley that most units in CO have very good hunting. I hunted 47 and 53. Going in multiple times to each unit made a difference for me. Getting to know the unit was more valuable for me with limited time to scout.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dave, Utah is cutting tags deep this year so those odds aren't going to be huge help. I recommend looking at your list where you'd like to hunt and buy an archery elk tag and learn the unit this year. Elk tags are going to sell out quickly this year too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That was quick. Thanks all.

Muley and UT- I have looked through to stats and did a spreadsheet including what I could get free from TopRut, but had to step away for a while because I wasn't confident that I understood what I was looking at. I believe I will be finding some kind of service to help me navigate Utah's system. Free internet, Eastman's, and forum info isn't going to get me all the way to where I want to be, but good place to start. Any suggestions on the best one or is gohunt going to provide all I need?

Researcher - WInter break hunts are very tempting, but I coach during the winter. Glad to hear that someone believes annual archery hunts of some sort is viable.

Mr. Swayze - I agree with Muley that most units in CO have very good hunting. I hunted 47 and 53. Going in multiple times to each unit made a difference for me. Getting to know the unit was more valuable for me with limited time to scout.
I’m not very familiar with anything else than gohunt, that is usually the general consensus that everyone uses.

jswayze1

FNG
Thanks Blacknblue. I hope to be here a while and certainly put in the time, hopefully at least a year or two. Spent a bunch of time in 18 last year, before, during and after September without much success. Found some elk, never saw a deer, took a couple grouse. Good to be out there, first year archery.

OP
B
Real - So I'm hearing you say that I could still most likely find an archery elk tag this year. I'm just starting to figure out that I think I can get into a bunch of units quicker on an elk hunt. That would be fine with me. SO the next step is deciding on an area to explore. That is where I'm stuck. And now with a change in tags it might eb even more difficult to predict.

Anyone have a crystal ball that can list a half dozen units that would have archery mule deer tags every other year or so for a nonresident?

I'll get onto gohunt and probably get the answer there, but wouldn't turn away any opinions on where to start. PM me if you don't want get in trouble with the rest of your unit for inviting another nonresident!

Glad for the help.

I dont know why you just dont look at the draw odds. You will see the units that you can draw. No crystal ball needed. Look at the tag numbers and make a guess based on slightly less tags in case they get reduced as mentioned above. Your not hunting this year anyway so next year you can look at the odds and make an educated decision based on this years tag numbers.

As far as elk go its not most likely its certain as I think archery elk is OTC for cows or in LE units as well as in the any bull units. They are limited in the any bull units and for spike tags in LE units though so you have to buy before they sell out.

Did you read the regulations yet?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Real - So I'm hearing you say that I could still most likely find an archery elk tag this year. I'm just starting to figure out that I think I can get into a bunch of units quicker on an elk hunt. That would be fine with me. SO the next step is deciding on an area to explore. That is where I'm stuck. And now with a change in tags it might eb even more difficult to predict.

Anyone have a crystal ball that can list a half dozen units that would have archery mule deer tags every other year or so for a nonresident?

I'll get onto gohunt and probably get the answer there, but wouldn't turn away any opinions on where to start. PM me if you don't want get in trouble with the rest of your unit for inviting another nonresident!

Glad for the help.
Utah dwr recommended a cut of over 9000 tags no research service is going to be anywhere close on odds now.

General elk tags are capped and available until they are all sold. You can choose a any bull tag or a spike bull tag each is good only for units that are specific to each tag. Typically Spike bull tags are for units that have limited entry bulls hunts ie most of the state. There are much fewer any bull units.
If deer is your passion pick your elk tag based on the deer unit you'd like to draw and learn that unit.
Utah puts the odds out every year you can see exactly how many applied and with how many points. I'll try and link it for you from my phone in a second.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/bg/2019/19_deer_odds.pdf

2a6d9f63dd40b1ee8fde2f1fc4d610ee.jpg

General tags are awarded to those with the most points.
If you use Beaver for example look in non resident you'll see each line of number points each applicant had and how many tags were awarded for each point number.
38 applied with 2 points and 37 drew tags.
60 applied with 1 point and 5 drew tags.

Last edited:
Dave, Utah is cutting tags deep this year so those odds aren't going to be huge help. I recommend looking at your list where you'd like to hunt and buy an archery elk tag and learn the unit this year. Elk tags are going to sell out quickly this year too.

Deer or elk or both? Do you have a link for more info?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at last years data there are many units that would be huntable every year with an archery tag. When you look at the bonus point data you will see that everyone that applied drew a tag. Thats assuming the same # of people apply and the same number of tags exist.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Archery elk is unlimited OTC tags. The 3 season tags will go quick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You’ve also got Nevada early archery seasons but good lord tags are hard to draw. Those are the two states I’m putting in for early archery hunts.