Aussie Looking for a Friend for Life

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Some of my best friends have been made through simply needing a hunting partner and forming a friendship. I am married, 30 years old with a 1 year old daughter. Part-time MMA training/fighter and full-time office worker.

In 2017 I am planning to visit the US and want to spend one week hunting. I have found the legislation almost impossible to deal with by myself and would love the help with getting it organised and hunting together.

Do you go on a yearly trip to a wilderness area and need a partner? Have you always wanted to head to new country and want a friend to take part in the adventure? Maybe you have a spot that is easy to draw a tag for and are happy to bring me along and get me one also?

I am interested in chasing any of the following:
Black Bear
Brown Bear
Elk
Wolf
Mountain Lion
Caribou
Sheep (Any)
Mountain Goat

Always wanted to hunt in Alaska or Canada. Would be happy in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

I propose preparing the hunt entirely together. I would prefer being part of your hunting trip rather than you creating a whole new trip to suit me. Talking regularly over the next month/year about preparation and strategy. I just need a little help with logistics and tags/laws etc. I won’t treat you like a guide, we will be equals. I am happy to generally pay for everything like Gas, meals, tags etc. I’ll shout yours! I don’t need the meat so that will be all yours too.

What I am offering is firstly and most importantly, a friend for life. You will always be welcome to have a trip to Australia and stay with my family. I would also love to take you on a hunting trip in the Alpine mountains of Victoria, Australia for the elusive Sambar deer.

If I do get more than one offer I hope not to offend anyone by not being able to come with you all, I would love too. Any Rokslider visiting Australia is welcome to contact me for info or a hunting buddy!

Here is a recent thread I made of a DIY New Zealand hunt. Something similar to this would be ideal and will give you some insights on who I am as a person and a hunter:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...850-zealand-diy-free-range-hunt-lifetime.html

mt100gr.

WKR
What sort of legislative problems are you encountering? Being a life-long Montana resident I am unfamiliar with the process.

My number one hunting partner the last few years is from Australia. He is a U.S. citizen now and has been for 17 years (I think :)) Elk, Sheep, Antelope, Wolves and deer are on the menu for us every year! And if we draw other tags it could be anything.

Last year a young fella from Australia with a work visa was here and tagged along on some of our adventures before he went back to Canada. We took him sheep hunting (low odds hunt) and mountain Mule Deer hunting.

I have had nothing but good encounters with you oz-people. What time of year are you planning on visiting?

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
What sort of legislative problems are you encountering? Being a life-long Montana resident I am unfamiliar with the process.

My number one hunting partner the last few years is from Australia. He is a U.S. citizen now and has been for 17 years (I think :)) Elk, Sheep, Antelope, Wolves and deer are on the menu for us every year! And if we draw other tags it could be anything.

Last year a young fella from Australia with a work visa was here and tagged along on some of our adventures before he went back to Canada. We took him sheep hunting (low odds hunt) and mountain Mule Deer hunting.

I have had nothing but good encounters with you oz-people. What time of year are you planning on visiting?

I suppose the issues I am running into are more with regard of dates/times, tags, blocks, licensing and transport. Each state is different and I am having a hard time pinning one down. I figured it might be easier for me to simply make friends with a hunter who has an idea in mind and work with them to get it happening.

I’m glad you have had good experiences with Aussies! Doing us proud overseas. Your animal menu looks amazing…

Timing for me is tricky too. I know your seasons are tight and highly regulated. In general, what times of the year can those animals be hunted?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilkes I want to be your friend! Sure I have little to offer up in utah but I would write an awesome slogan on my chest with prement marker.

Generally speaking most archery seasons are mid September and most rifle season mid October across the west

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be your friend mate!

I think I am confined to the April-May period, or so I have been told by my Mrs. This makes it both easier and harder. Easier because I know what is available at that point of the year and harder because almost nothing can be hunted then haha.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black bear late may June,turkey is April usally. I'll look into April opportunities going to be slim though

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Wilkes, what a great idea. I would not be a good host for what you are looking for until my schedule is more permissive after more teenagers move away from home or at least out of the house over the next few years.

But I will say, that far and away, Australia was my favorite place that I got to visit when traveling around the world in the military. The people I met there were so friendly (and honest and politically incorrect which I loved). It was really easy to travel and explore with everyone speaking english (well kind of anyway, lol) and being so helpful. Rugby between rival teams and Irish dancing in the pub in Brisbane were crazy & fun events. I still wish that I could have figured out circular breathing for the digeridoo during the short time I was there.

Good luck.

mt100gr.

WKR
I suppose the issues I am running into are more with regard of dates/times, tags, blocks, licensing and transport. Each state is different and I am having a hard time pinning one down. I figured it might be easier for me to simply make friends with a hunter who has an idea in mind and work with them to get it happening.

I’m glad you have had good experiences with Aussies! Doing us proud overseas. Your animal menu looks amazing…

Timing for me is tricky too. I know your seasons are tight and highly regulated. In general, what times of the year can those animals be hunted?

As stated above, all of the big game seasons are in the fall. Mid August through December. Wolf season usually runs into the next year.

That is difficult timing for sure but spring bear hunting can be a lot of fun if the high country snow melts early.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it was me, I wouldn't even make the trek over if I wasn't hunting elk. Can't remember whether you're a bow hunter or not, but there's nothing like hunting them in the rut, and that happens in September.

JP100

WKR
I'll be your friend mate!

I think I am confined to the April-May period, or so I have been told by my Mrs. This makes it both easier and harder. Easier because I know what is available at that point of the year and harder because almost nothing can be hunted then haha.
Not much point going at that time of year to be honest.
I hunted otc archery elk last year in Colorado was great fun.
Make sure you do a hunters education course.
Get onto buying preference points asap. Look at Colorado, Wyoming, Montana. These states offer good hunting and I know Aussie and kiwis that have had success here.

Honestly I would build up some points for like 5 years then plan a trip.
It's not like nz or Australia where you can just rock and go hunting.

Bow hunting opens alot more areas and tags up and better seasons.

There are websites and agents that can help non residents navigate the tag systems and get you up the ladder faster so to speak.

I know alot of kiwis and Aussies that want to hunt the US but just don't know how it works. It's best to focus on it as a long term goal and go when you have good tags to make the most of it.

Sheep and brown bears are out of the question I am pretty sure nearly all areas you need to be guided as a non resident alien.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plenty of ways to get a combo hunt in with two plus weeks to hunt but you'll have to pick one specific animal on your list and add deer and or antelope.
You'll need points for optional chances in decent units
Black bear can be a pretty do able hunt but best chance is late may early june and that makes it tough to combo

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Mischief209: Non bogan!

Thanks realunlucky. I am basically coming to the US next year with or without a hunt so I am just going to make the most of it. It looks like spring bear and a wolf tag in pocket is going to be my best bet. That is an amazing hunt to me and I would be stoked to attempt it.

With a little help I think I will get involved in the point system for a better shot at a unit over the next 5 years.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wyoming points can be bought for this year. I'd invest there for sure do elk deer and Antelope. In five years you should be able to draw for each and do a trifectia hunt

OP
wilkes

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Would I need to buy a non-res license each year in order to buy points?

JP100

WKR
Would I need to buy a non-res license each year in order to buy points?

it depends on the state. For WY I have just bought my points, was like $120 for elk,mulie and prong horn. Get onto it ASAP
For CO you have to buy a tag, which for elk cost me like $440 I think but then a few months later you get the money back minus a small fee. I actually made money off my tags this year haha as the dollar changed alot between the time I bought them and when i got refunded.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only points now are wyoming all others can only be purchased next year

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho is over the counter for a large portion of the hunting. You can buy points in other states and always use Idaho as a backup or don't waste your money buying points and just come to Idaho and hunt. Some other states have better hunting but the elk success rates in certain areas has been pretty high here for the last couple years. Several units with over the counter tags were over 30%. You could also put in for a higher odds drawing tag and fall back on a over the counter if you don't draw.