Australian 3 day hunt? My list so far

archangel

FNG
Hi All!

I've been hunting for a few years, mostly driving then a short scout and hunt, then back to the car. I'm planning my first multi-night/day hunt from a backpack. Here is my list so far, excluding consumables.

I want to reduce the weight where possible, whilst still being safe. I know my rifle is heavy, but I'm comfortable with it, and I know I can shoot well with it.

Sleeping bag seems a logical place to save some weight? I'm sure I'm forgetting items as well, so feel free to let me know what I've gotten wrong!

I'll be hunting in the Victorian high country. My area has a good stream of fresh water year round, and night time temperatures will be around 0 or slightly lower, celsius.

I appreciate any feedback!

adamjp

FNG
Without significant changes in a short time...
- You can halve the number of cartridges.

Suggestions...
- What are you going to eat for three days?
- Add a spare pair of woollen socks and some gaiters. Snakes are out and about!
- Where is your hat? Breaks your silhouette and keeps the sun off.
- Headlamp? I bought a Nitecore HC65 last year and it rocks!
- Binoculars? 8 or 10x are a good starting point.
- A pull through or a breakdown cleaning rod. Nothing worse than mud in the muzzle from a slip getting down a creek bank.
- Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)? I have a rescueME PLB and don't leave camp without it.
- Lots of gear to hump for Fallow hunting. 6.5 Creed isn't legal for Sambar. Think 30/06 instead.

After your hunt...
- Order some titanium pans and a cup. For about $50 off eBay they will be far more useful than the alloy stuff.
- Get into a down bag. Mont are a good brand that is local to you. A Sea to Summit Reactor liner is also worth it for those colder nights.
- Sleeping mat isn't very good insulation for it's weight. Think Thermarest or Exped. Bogong gear or Snowys will be able to steer you in the right direction.
- Think about swapping your hammock for a nice ultralight 4 season tent.
- Buy a second hydration bladder and make it the 'red' bladder for the dirty water to go into. Through the filter and into the 'blue' bladder you drink from.
- Build/buy yourself a lighter rifle in a Sambar legal cartridge. Something like a T3 Lite in 30/06 with a quality 2-10 size scope is a good place to start. I use a 338/06 or 338 Norma depending on the country.
- The Salomon boots are nice for light hiking, but with the weight you are carrying into that country I would be looking towards a pair of Lowe/Scarpa/Meindl type boots. I hunt in Meindl Island MFS Pros.

Last edited:
OP
archangel

archangel

FNG
Thanks champ!

1. I haven't looked into the food side of things yet. One of the next challenges!
  2. Good point re socks and gaiters - will get some
  3. I'm not much of a hat wearer, but i'll look into it
  4. I have a Led Lenser 14.2R, which I love. Thought about leaving it at home due to weight. Have a couple of Olights too (Javelot Pro) but figure I won't need them
  5. The Sig Sauer Kilo 3000's are bino's and LRF combined
  6. I have some bore snakes I'll bring
  7. PLB - Haven't got one, but obviously need to!
  8. Yeah I'm only after fallow. Sambar I can get with my 308 on another trip.
Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Lots to think about and save for!