Avail 2200 or Others for EDC?

trom2k

FNG
I'm looking for an EDC bag for work (computer, lunch, notebooks, water bottle, etc) and to also use for day hikes and hunts. The Avail seems to tick a lot of the boxes with some decent built in organization and the price is right. Also seems to get great reviews. Also been looking at the Shape Charge as it is similar in size though more expensive. I don't have an external frame from either company so that is not a factor but have tried both at shows and felt good so running either in the future would be fine I think.

Does anyone use the Avail to haul a computer around and what did you do to protect it? I don't see that they offer an internal sleeve. Has anyone tried using the Kifaru Chamber Slider in the Avail? Do the tab loops line up with the SG?

Any other ideas for EDC bags?

olddecker

FNG
I have both, tried the Avail for EDC for a while but ended up using the Shape charge more. There’s just too many clips on the Avail for EDC. I also found the organisation of the SC more EDC friendly. In terms of laptop protection, I just use a Propper laptop sleeve. It’s not suspended from the bottom but I tend to be a little more cautious when carrying electronics. I have the chamber slider but I can’t remember why I didn’t try it with the Avail.
I would personally recommend the SC. I found it to be more adaptable and there are options to expand it eg Sherman pocket.
Oh yah and Kifaru seems to have nailed the design of side pockets. The side pouches of the Avail is just too shallow to be useful.

R_burg

WKR
I looked at all these options. I love SG and Kifaru, although my hunting bags are SG now - just my preference.

I went a different direction and bought a Arcteryx Brize. IMO its a better bag than the SG or Kifaru for traveling and around town stuff, and I use it on hikes and day hunts where I'm going light. Obviously its not meant to carry as much weight, the belt is small and detachable (a huge plus for traveling and around town in my experience).

You can grab one for 90 bucks or so. I love Kifaru, but 360 for that Shape Charge - thats too rich for my blood. Its not about the money - just what I determine to be fair. If I had to buy one, I'd buy an Avail because I could use it for skiing.

Admittedly I really like Arcteryx gear and I have a lot of it that I pair with my hunting brand stuff... and I know others dont feel the same. But thats where I fell on this decision, if it helps.

OP
T

trom2k

FNG
Thanks for the info olddecker and R_burg. Really like the SC layout but it's definitely a bit more tactical than the Avail. I reached out to SG and talked with Andrew about the Avail vs the Kiowa and he recommended the Kiowa as it has a bit more organization and holds a little more gear for EDC.

In case anyone is wondering, I found out a little more about the Kiowa than what they have on their site:

Frame sheet is removable
Belt is more robust (better load carrying) than Avail
Hangers for Hydration Sleeve
No issues with carry-on
They don't offer an organization panel or laptop sleeve for the hook and loop sheet

I'll have to think on this some more but thanks again for the input.

Tom

I use the Antero and my son uses the Urban Ruck for edc packs. Both great size for laptops, notebooks, water, snacks, rain jacket, possibles pouch, battery pack, etc.... I prefer the panel load of the Antero and my son prefers the top load of the UR. Antero is belt compatible but I never run a belt with it. Seems overkill for a day pack with no stays. UR has a 1” strap that seems useless to me as a belt and he never puts that on either. Both use a frame sheet (UR has the chamber slider) instead of real stays for carrying weight. We’ve both run 20-30# in them when traveling but wouldn’t want much more than that in either.

Tried the Avail against the Antero and 14’er and kept the Antero for edc. Avail was nice but lacked organization and lots of buckles. 14’er was a great pack but overkill for edc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I'm comparing the same packs- Avail, SC, and added the Vertx Gamut 2.0. I think I'm leaning toward the Avail because I already have an Xcurve. I figure the Avail would be my primary EDC for work and travel (laptop, jacket, notebook, planner, water bottle, lunch) but could also be a good coastal fishing/whitetail pack too. Vertx pretty much just EDC, but great organization. I like the SC, but it's expensive and doesn't blend in a work environment as well.

Right now I'm using a Kifaru Doorgunner and while I really like the pack, I'm getting a bigger laptop and it's just not going to fit. I'm pushing it on capacity anyway.

My current choice is Avail-->Vertx-->Kifaru SC.

I love the Avail. Use it as a daypack, carry on when flying and have even hauled out an antelope buck a few miles. Great packs. Very well made. They put a lot of thought into the design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
SG Avail is a great daypack/scouting/treestand hunting/fishing/EDC pack, its very versatile and carries a bunch of stuff with organization. Kifaru ultralight pouches go a long way keeping stuff organized and compact. Added a Kifaru Omni frame makes the pack a bit more rigid and makes it a bit easier carrying loads of 30lbs or more.

I just ordered a Kifaru Duplex lite frame, perhaps a stryker or a woodsman is in order.

I want to try out both companies but my friends Kifaru 24" frame felt nice on my back and hips...