Avail vs Kiowa

jdvanstar

WKR
I’m a whitetail guy who saddle hunts. Looking for a day pack that I can attach to a frame when I go west or go with shoulder straps when I’m hunting whitetails (I also like a smaller pack when I go camping with the family). I’ve decided I like the Avail and the Kiowa. Thinking I’ll strap the platform and sticks to the outside and load up clothes inside.
Anyone have experience with both? Which makes more sense for my use? Any input appreciated!

NoWiser

WKR
I have an Avail and love it. For what you are looking to do, it’s probably a bit on the small side, especially if you need to stuff it with warm, bulky clothes.

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
I have the avail and love it too. I’m the guy hauling the Turkey on SG website. Pretty awesome! I have no experience with the Kiowa or your style of hunting. I use it for cross country skiing, turkey, antelope and whitetail. Sometimes take it on private land cow elk hunts. Holds puffy, kill kit, possibles pouch and lunch. Compression pouch works great for quick stuffing coat. Only 2 downsides for me. Short belt for 34 in waist. And shortish frame for 6’2” if throwing over 50 lbs on. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an Avail this year for saddle hunting and I am as happy with it as I can be. I have been carrying two sticks on the compression straps on each side, with my platform under the back panel. I still have room for a few extra layers, a bottle or two of water and anything else I may need for a day hunt.

dkrejar

FNG
I bought an Avail this year for saddle hunting and I am as happy with it as I can be. I have been carrying two sticks on the compression straps on each side, with my platform under the back panel. I still have room for a few extra layers, a bottle or two of water and anything else I may need for a day hunt.
I am a saddle hunter carrying 4 XOP short sticks, and the predetor platform. I also use the Sitka Fanatic Coat with the Stratus bibs, will the Avail hold that along with a thermos and other hunting essential. When you say a few extra layers do think these would fit? I have a back now that is 1900 and that stretches it almost to the limit and wondering if I upgrade to the avail if that would work or if I should go up to the Kiowa. Any thoughts?

I am a saddle hunter carrying 4 XOP short sticks, and the predetor platform. I also use the Sitka Fanatic Coat with the Stratus bibs, will the Avail hold that along with a thermos and other hunting essential. When you say a few extra layers do think these would fit? I have a back now that is 1900 and that stretches it almost to the limit and wondering if I upgrade to the avail if that would work or if I should go up to the Kiowa. Any thoughts?
I think it would be a tight fit. My extra layers are usually a heavier shirt and a stratus jacket. I'm not too sure how well a bulkier jacket and bibs will fit.

I would go with the Kiowa. I used the Kiowa for a mule deer hunt (just day trips from camp) and it's a very versatile pack. You'll have enough room inside to stuff your layers and the internal spotting scope pocket would work great for your thermos. There's the outside pocket as well which can hold a decent amount. The strap system will let you securely tighten your sticks to it as well. I attached pics for reference. I stuffed my fanatic bibs (thicker than stratus) and jacket in there and it's pretty tight.

Attachments

• 20211222_064744.jpg
    20211222_064744.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211222_064711.jpg
    20211222_064711.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 26

dkrejar

FNG
I would go with the Kiowa. I used the Kiowa for a mule deer hunt (just day trips from camp) and it's a very versatile pack. You'll have enough room inside to stuff your layers and the internal spotting scope pocket would work great for your thermos. There's the outside pocket as well which can hold a decent amount. The strap system will let you securely tighten your sticks to it as well. I attached pics for reference. I stuffed my fanatic bibs (thicker than stratus) and jacket in there and it's pretty tight.
Thanks for the great response. I think that is what I am going to go with.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
Thanks for the great response. I think that is what I am going to go with.
Great stuff. Don't overlook just using a bigger SG bag too. I ended up getting a 6900 and just cinch it down. It's the same size as my Kiowa was that way and has the option to haul out an entire deer. Took my a while to come around to this way of thinking but I don't anticipate switching for a while