Availability of bullets

Hi. I am totally brand new to muzzleloading and even rifle shooting in general. I’ve been primarily an archery hunter for a long time.
I’m definitely going to pick up a muzzleloader though. Going back and forth between whether to get a 50 cal and shoot sabots, or a 45 and shoot bullet to bore for maximum accuracy. I know with my personality, eventually I will go very deep into muzzleloading because that’s just how I am.
I live in California, so whatever projectile I shoot will have to be lead free. I will also have to purchase most of my bullets and supplies online.
Do you think if I went the 45 caliber route, I would have trouble reliably being able to purchase bullets? As I look around the web now, I see a lot are sold out on multiple different sites.
Should I just start with a 50 and shoot sabots to get myself started? Or should I just go balls deep and straight to 45 no sabot? I’m not so concerned with muzzleloading regs for now, I will probably hunt regular rifle season with it.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LWH723

FNG
Unless you want to experience the suck of sabots, just go 45 and don’t look back. Although solid copper Sabotless in a 45cal isn’t nearly as easy as the cup and core bullets.

Wrench

WKR
I'd pay attention to where you want to hunt, many states have a .50 minimum. If that matters not, the guys who shoot accurate 45's are simply dangerous with them.

OP
A
Thanks guys, thanks Luke. Luke, I was going to give you a call when I get set up to get one of those sizing dies and breech plug replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk