Available Quality Backpack

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I currently use a T3 Kifaru. I’m happy with the size, but have recently considered upgrading to a pack with the ability to sandwich an elk quarter.

I have lots of accessories for the kifaru. They were my first choice as I would like to support Aron’s investment, but I’m hesitant about the 3 month wait.

I like things about Stone Glacier R3 and Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. I haven’t really looked at ebelstock, exo? Or Seek outside.

I’m not looking specialized, I’m looking for availability. I will continue to watch the rokslide classifieds.

Do you have suggestions on 3000 ci packs that can sandwich an elk quarter, be compatible with the Kifaru belt pouches, and are not made to order?

Exo has the most intuitive load shelf imo, but you are on the right track, stone, exo or seek outside is what I would narrow it down to.

Exo and seek outside are both still small with excellent customer service, and seem to plan on staying relatively small, which is awesome for the customers (not saying stone or kifaru are lacking at all in customer service, I don’t think they are or will, but getting bigger is usually not for the customer’s sake long term)

Not trying to steer you in any direction, just sharing my perspective… I’m now well invested in kifaru and have zero plans of jumping ship in any sense, but I do think my next pack will be the next version of the exo, better or worse, they have been solid since day one and sound content with their current size, which I value…

My 2 packs that I have kept are exo and kifaru, for me, they are the best load haulers, exo is the most comfortable to hunt in, and the kifaru edges out exo when loads get north of 90# (not by much though)

Seek outside makes amazing lightweight packs too, and I think the most adjustable platform on the market, and they are unique, and most people love their load hauling ability.

I have never had a stone, for a couple reasons, but their 26” frame as the only option has scared me off, as well as the 3 frame styles that I have no place to try on… (for me)

Mystery ranch has a good niche too, but their frame lacks for me, I like the pop up better than their actual frame, even though they aren’t very substantial, I would prefer to carry a 100# load with the pop up vs the guide lite mt, I recently had a metcalf and packed out one buck with it and that was enough for me

Of course, no pack is going to fit everyone the same, that’s just my experience the past couple years going through several packs, and trying every one I was curious about

For weight/durability/comfort/and load hauling capability, I think exo rides those lines the best, and it’s a solid group of folks at exo, and they are small enough that they are extremely consistent in great service, and I don’t think that will change.

We are pretty spoiled in the pack game these days, we have so many really good options.

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve started to check out Exo packs. A lot to like with them for sure. Does anyone have an opinion concerning the material on a Stone Glacier vs the Exo K3. It appears both are 500 cordura but the SG may have some waterproofing.

Also, I’d really like to use my Kifaru side pockets. Are they easily attached to either pack?

So I’ve started to check out Exo packs. A lot to like with them for sure. Does anyone have an opinion concerning the material on a Stone Glacier vs the Exo K3. It appears both are 500 cordura but the SG may have some waterproofing.

Also, I’d really like to use my Kifaru side pockets. Are they easily attached to either pack?
maybe someone with a stone can chime in, but i think the rear panel of the stone bags are xpack, which is waterproof, but i think that's more to keep blood off your frame vs waterproof, it's not in areas that will make it waterproof... besides that, very similar in construction...

i think most of the SG bags have limited integrated organization (pockets) and EXO have a good amount of organization in their bags (and well thought out, not a bunch of random pockets) that's not really a big deal to me either way, i have kifaru bags i like that are basically a big bag, and i have other bags (for both kifaru and EXO) with lots of organization, totally a personal preference, i don't care much either way.

for a more waterproof bag with the load shelf option, seek outside is the best thing going imo, they use primarily light waterproof materials in their bags, and i wish other companies would offer the same, i loved my seek outside bag, i just couldn't get the frame dialed in with really heavy loads, but most are impressed with their load hauling, so my experience was not common.

EXO does offer a dry bag that snaps into their bags if you need to keep things dry, but it doesn't stop the cordura from getting waterlogged.

what i have learned, is there is no perfect pack system, but there are a couple that work well for most people, sticking to the big companies that are made here is a good idea, they are all consistently liked by most, and if it doesn't work out for you, you can get most of your money back if you need to sell to try a different pack.... from what i have seen, kifaru holds value best, followed by EXO and stone, followed by seek outside, and everything else you are going to eat more of the cost

Drenalin

WKR
My SG R3 5900 is (seemingly) the same 500d Cordura as my Exo packs, just in a different color. SG does have some X-PAC on the frame as mentioned above. Not sure about the other SG bags, but it's Cordura on the backside of the R3 bags same as main body.

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I’m leaning toward the Exo over the SG. Looks like the stays are adjustable? I don’t need much load lifting for my 25# daypack but like the idea of extending the length in order to move elk quarters to a more accessible location. I think I can modify my Kifaru side pockets to work on either.

SG uses X-Pac in places, but it's not everywhere. For example, on a bag, they'll use X-Pac on the portion that touches/faces the frame. The thinking is blood from a quarter in the meat shelf won't penetrate into your gear. Similarly, on the frame, there is X-Pac between the meat shelf and the user. So I see their use of X-Pac as more of a moisture barrier for blood than for waterproofing.

I think the adjustable stays of the Exo is a pretty slick feature, and I'm an SG/Kifaru guy. Exo makes a pretty nice pack no doubt.

fatlander

WKR

You can probably fashion up a way to make the kifaru pouches work, but it won’t be perfect.

As others have mentioned, the xpac on the SG are more for blood than waterproofing. The exo and stone are built about the same as far as materials and construction. They’re not built like a kifaru, so don’t be surprised when it shows up and you’re used to your rhino. I’ve currently got an SG 5900 with all the hardware swapped out to kifaru buckles. I broke more SG buckles in a few months than I did in a few years with kifaru.

I’ve spent time with all three pack systems. Had I not tried on a SG frame the day after packing out a bull, I’d still have my kifaru. They’re all good. The SG is just better fit for me than the others in the comfort department with a heavy load.

In a perfect world, I’d have a pack that fit like SG, was designed like an EXO, and was built like a kifaru. We don’t live in a perfect world, so I’ve got the one that carries a heavy load best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a perfect world, I’d have a pack that fit like SG, was designed like an EXO, and was built like a kifaru. We don’t live in a perfect world, so I’ve got the one that carries a heavy load best for me.
same. Forlough could have done that with their new release, instead they decided to make one that fit like an osprey, weighed as much as a eberlestock, and cost more than kifaru.

same. Forlough could have done that with their new release, instead they decided to make one that fit like an osprey, weighed as much as a eberlestock, and cost more than kifaru.
I think they are surrounded by people that will improve the next generation of their packs… I can look by a lot of that sight unseen, but I can’t look by the 22” frame on a pack designed for multi day backpack hunting… I honestly don’t know how that happened

They need serious backpack hunters helping in design, because they missed their mark on gen 1

At this point, I think their best chance is teaming up with a backpack company to design a pack