Average archery shot on mule deer??

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see what have been the average shot distance on deer has been!! Or the ranges you have had shots!!

DIY

WKR
Im 3 for 3 the last three years in colorado.. 35,37,42 yards. Im sighted in out to 80 yards

velvetfvr

WKR
One was under 25 yards (right through the skin on the top of his back, non lethal) and the buck I got this year was at 32 yards. Both this year.

Mofarmboy

FNG
The only muley ive killed was 50yds which I shot for 42 because of the super steep angle......double lunged it.

Buster

WKR
Guessing my average is somewhere around 30, max 62, min 5. Majority fall between 15 and 35.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
All over the board here. Closest was 7yrds and furthest was 70yrds with a bunch in between. Average about 40yrds. All hunting open country in eastern Mt

trdhunter

WKR
Closest shot 12 yards, longest shot 56 yards. Most have been in the 30-50 range. I have had opportunities at much longer distances but elected to pass and try another day, try to get closer and did or got closer and bumped the bucks is what seems to happen the most.

Buster

WKR
One thing that really affects mule deer shot distance (vs whitetails), is that you tend to be approaching the deer, instead of the deer approaching you. Once you're in comfortable range, you tend to not try to get closer. I'll stop at 30 yards, unless the terrain or situation dictates that I have to get closer. In my limited whitetail stand/ground blind hunting experience, opportunities have been at closer ranges because I've set it up that way. Just thinking out loud right now.

I hunt timberline so the county is broken and open but I have had shots from 15 all the way out to 60 yards. I practice out to 70 but will only shoot a deer out to 60.