My shots on elk have been, in yards:

8 (killed)
22 (superficially wounded)
30 (superficially wounded)
34 (missed)
34 (mortally wounded)
55 (killed)
63 (killed)

I like the way you put that, shows a realistic view of hunting. This is what it looks like for me since starting archery hunting in 2011;

57 Double Lung, Dead Bull
35 Superficial (steep downhill, hit way high)
14 Double Lung, Dead Bull
18 Shoulder Joint (no blood)
(40 Miss low
60 Miss low
3 Superficial above his spine came out right below me on a slide
30 Miss low
40 deflection miss on a giant) The last 5 were in a single unlucky year
(5 deflection miss
20 Double lung, Dead bull) The last two were the same bull 30 seconds apart
90 Double lung Dead bull, thought this was a follow-up shot but ended up being the only hit
(60 Clean miss low
65 Deflection poor hit on bull
35 Heart shot, Dead bull), the bull spun toward me on release hit in front of the shoulder, last 3 were the same year.
60 Double lung, Dead bull

There was about a 3 year period where I had a run of bad luck, jitters, target panic or something and could not hit the broadside of a barn at any range while hunting. It wasn't due to lack of practice, I shoot religiously and have been very confident in my ability to make good shots. There are a lot of variables when it comes to shooting at elk that are running in on you.

Last edited:

JasonWi

WKR
40 yards broadside (dead cow)
17 yards quartering towards me (dead bull)
30 yards broadside (dead bull)
23-25 yard quartering away (dead bull)
35 yards (thought he was 40, hit high and lost the bull)
45 yards broadside (dead bull)

Last year was my streak of bad luck like nphunter described..I still don't for the life of me know what happened on the second elk?

33-34 yards, shot him for 30, hit very bottom of the chest cavity...barely inside the sternum...lost him and no blood located after he laid down.

30 yards, shot the crease and hit to the left of it right through the shoulder meat. Watched bull walk off into the timber as it was right before dark, left him overnight and grid searched for half a day and never found body or any blood.

I was beyond upset with myself after last season so I've been on a terror shooting and getting myself much better prepared tuning wise for this season. Year of redemption.

S.Clancy

WKR
Jeeze, I dont even want to put the distances Ive missed bulls....I once missed clean at 18 yards at a really nice 6x6. I have made significant strides since that bull.

matsprt

FNG
After reading these posts I need to go practice practice practice practice.....One sure does not want to miss an opportunity !!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Practice out to 80, for me 60 yards is a poke at a game animal, archery kills have been 50 and in. The closer the better, I like them coming in completely clueless and under 30 yards ideally!