Average shot distance on pronghorn.

S.Clancy

WKR
With my bow (spot and stalk) 38-77 yds. Rifle, 70-420 yds. Most shots are in the upper quartile of those ranges.

Reactions: Guy

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Archery- bucks in the last 8 years have been between 6 and 63 yards. Only 1 was over 40 yards and 2 of them have been less than 10 yards. All spot and stalk in South Dakota. I hunt where I live and work so spend the vast majority of my time waiting to find a buck in a perfect spot and make a move. Would

Rifle- only shot 2 with rifle ever and they were both around 125 yards

Trial153

WKR
I have killed 6, all with a bow. All except one was over water and under 30 yards, the one that wasn't 45ish yards.

Reactions: Guy
We’ve been out west the last few years hunting antelope. Shot distance seems to vary for us on location and how much pressure. One place we hunt they’re pretty spooky I tell people going with us be ready for 250-350yards. I took my daughter and her friend this past fall (both 12 at the time) and they got theirs within 100-150 yards. Either way they’re a blast to hunt!

Gumbo

WKR
I've shot probably 20 with a rifle, average shot is somewhere around 150 yards. I've shot 6 with my bow, all spot and stalk, at an average of probably 40 yards.

Rifle average probably 175? Fwiw i think my longest shot on any big game animal might have been about 325-350. Although the specialized gear and I'd imagine the technical ability of the challenge can be fun, you don't need a long range rig or be able to take long range shots to be successful even out west and/or above treeline. If that's whats fun and interesting to a person then that's great, but I'm pretty confident you loose as many opportunities (or more) on close or short window shot opportunities with a big glassed, bipodded, longer/heavier gun as you gain with them for longer range opportunities. Just my opinion, and again, nothing against it!

Drew my bow up close to 50 yards on them couple different times in CO, but didn't shoot as I didn't have a tag.

Archery under 40 yards.
Rifle average 180-250 yards. I think my longest was under 500 in ND. After all confirmed rifle kills I save the brass and write with fine point sharpie marker the date, location, yardage, hunting district number. I also label the back of the skulls after them so I can remember when I get a little more senile.

Sled

WKR
i've only taken 4. all with the rifle. i've hunted with a bow and all shot opportunities were 80 yards. tough to get close without a blind.

rifle:
spot and stalk to ~100yds
jump shot ~20yds
spot and stalk 455yds
road hunting 225yds

all in SW Wyo

BigLost

FNG
I’ve only shot one, but spot and stalked into 311 yards. Took a great buck with a .270 Win