Average shot distance on pronghorn.

Hey guys,

This is merely a curiosity post. What would you say is your average kill shot distance is on pronghorn?

Edited for clarity: Name your distance and the method of take. If you go after them with more than one tool, it would be cool learn about your distances with each!

Last edited:

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I buy a tag every year but don’t hunt them every year. That being said I’ve never shot one past 450. Antelope can be fun to hunt and in my experience you you wait them out with out bumping them 9-10 times they will mess up presenting a good shot.

Jimss

WKR
I've harvested a lot of antelope over the years mostly with rifle. Just about every one of them was 150 to 250 yards. The longest shots were in the 300 to 350 range. I usually consider a buck under 250 yard.....dead. That is my goal when attempting stalks and shots!

I've also been fortunate to shoot a few antelope from waterhole blinds with bow. My average from waterholes is 20 to 30 yards.

ShakeDown

WKR
Anytime I’m hunting speed goats it seems like I have plenty of opportunity at around 150yds... actually feels like they usually are hanging out sort of snickering at that range.

Unfortunately I hunt with a bow :(

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
3 dead
1. Rifle, 260 Rem with 130 VLD, 235 yards, 1 shot
2. Rifle, 6.5 SAUM with 136 Scenar-L, 234 yards, 1 shot
3. Rifle, 6.5 SAUM with 130 VLD, 302 yards, 1 shot

going again this fall, good chance it will be the 6.5 SAUM but with 139 Scenar this time.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've shot a couple dozen, 50-700yds with muzzy and rifle (longer obviously rifle), if you're confident to 400ish it covers a lot of opportunities (presuming rifle), earlier in the seasons or when terrain favors you its easier to get close in. Later in the season after they've been shot at more they are more spooky and harder to close sometimes, patience always wins though but if you're filling multiple doe tags on a weekend run you get busy shoot'n (within your capabilities) when the opportunities are there.

Mt Al

WKR
Shot quite a few over the past 30+ years. Guessing average is about 200/250. Oddly the last two were 350 + or - 10 yards. I have a Nikon BDC reticle with a dot dead on at 350 so it worked out nicely.

Carlin59

WKR
I’m far from an expert. I’m around 20 personally in CO and WY and another 20 helping buddies. I think context is important for this question. For light pressure and/or early season goats, under 200 is our norm. For late season and/or highly pressured leftover units, over 200 is the average. With that said, I can only think of five over 300 Yards total, and none over 400. All shots that are obtainable for the hunter willing to put in the practice.

Hunt for the hunt and not for the shot! I've gotten several at under 50 yards, with a rifle, in the late season. Wait them out, both you and your quarry deserve it.

npm352

WKR
Have gotten about a dozen. One archery at 20 and the rest rifle. I got one pretty far this year in Colorado that I won't factor in because it is an anomaly...my average is probably about 200-250. Have hunted WY, ID, NV, UT and CO for them and have never been in an area that someone who can shoot 200 yards wouldn't be able to kill a mature buck in the span of a few hours.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience if you're willing to wait them out and cover some ground to use terrain you can usually get within bow range or easy rifle of them more often than not. I've seen more goats with their legs blown off or dragging their guts than I think is necessary with this long range ''hunting" craze.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I have went to wy past two rifle seasons with group of buddy’s. Our group killed 11 in the 2 seasons, our average shot was 275-300 yards