average spotter,high dollar tripod?

littlebuf

Banned
so here's my question. i dont have a high dollar spotter,ive got a average Leopold something or other that i got on sale several years ago.ive spent a good chunk of money over the years on the best gear i can afford and the spotter just hasn't fit in to that yet,and probably wont this year and maybe not next.the question is ( i know get on with it already) is it worth it to buy a real nice tri pod/head for backpack hunting and top it off with my average spotter until the day comes that i get the one i want?or is the sub par optics on a real good tri pod just more dead weight to pack around?may seem like a silly question but its what im considering.i can do 5 to 600 on a tripod a lot easier than 3 grand on a spotter right now.

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
the one plus to the Leopold i have now is its pretty compact and light

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say yes, especially if you ever plan on getting a more $ spotter. You can also use the t pod for your binoculars, so keep that in mind too.

You can get a hell of a tripod and head combo for the $ you listed and will probably have some left over too.

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
ill check that out,thanks.and i know the optics will make a difference,believe me i drool over some of the spotters.I'll get one here one day,it pretty much the last piece of gear out there that i haven't made the step up to yet as far as quality goes.but now that I've got a T1 coming i really want to use that spotting scope pocket

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw what your budget was for the tripod and wanted to make sure you knew these cheaper Swaros are out there. Obvioulsy you'd have to buy used, but when I wrote that review in January, I found a used one for $600, and I bought mine used, too. I'd rather have used Swaro with a lifetime guarantee than no Swaro at all! I've had mine for 7 years and could still get the $500 out of it I paid for it.

As the review says, I put it side by side with the STS 65's and the CT was better. Wouldn't happen with the HD 80's, but those are a pipe dream for me (and you for a while it sounds like). Best of luck.

B

bearguide

look for used, high quality glass / better glass does make a difference