Avoid being scammed buying from online classifieds

On another forum a brand new poster responded to a WTB ad. It actually seems legit. He wants PP F&F or I can pay with goods and services if I cover the fees. Is there a way I could get scammed still if I send payment G&S?

Thanks

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Investigate him. Ask for his address and look it up on the county parcel viewer map. If he's a home owner, his name will be attached to the property record.

Yes, he could mail you a brick. For this reason, I film all my packages and me opening them when not purchasing from a legit company.

F&F or buyer pays fees is how I typically list payment if buyer wants to use paypal. I do that because it allows me to keep the same price regardless of how payment is made and has nothing to do with forgoing buyer protection. To me it's similar to saying "buyer pays actual shipping costs".

It doesn't mean a seller should or shouldn't be trusted IMO.

Additionally, use a credit card linked to your PayPal, so you can utilize the consumer protections if necessary.

tony

WKR
Additionally, use a credit card linked to your PayPal, so you can utilize the consumer protections if necessary.
Good idea
Or just pay the fee, I mean its not that much money.
Hell when I sell I cover the fee again its not that much

I did that once a long time ago after getting scammed and PayPal shut down my account and sent me to collections. This was after filing with PayPal and they attempted to get the money back from the scammer, who'd withdrawn the funds and bailed, so PayPal was already on board with my claim. Credit Card company did their job and reversed everything, PayPal was super unhappy about it.

I did that once a long time ago after getting scammed and PayPal shut down my account and sent me to collections. This was after filing with PayPal and they attempted to get the money back from the scammer, who'd withdrawn the funds and bailed, so PayPal was already on board with my claim. Credit Card company did their job and reversed everything, PayPal was super unhappy about it.

It's about impossible for PayPal to prevail against the credit cards consumer protections, as they are legal protections. So if they send it to collections, they will lose bigtime in court with many attornies willing to take the case on contingency. PayPay would need to prove fraud to win. In short, if PayPay refuses to do what they should, the credit card company will not give them a choice.

It's about impossible for PayPal to prevail against the credit cards consumer protections, as they are legal protections. So if they send it to collections, they will lose bigtime in court with many attornies willing to take the case on contingency. PayPay would need to prove fraud to win. In short, if PayPay refuses to do what they should, the credit card company will not give them a choice.
Yeah I don't know anything about that, they didn't go after my CC company they came after me. At the time I just let it ride out and it fell off my credit reports after 7 years. I wasn't about to pay it back, and couldn't afford attorneys back then.

Yeah I don't know anything about that, they didn't go after my CC company they came after me. At the time I just let it ride out and it fell off my credit reports after 7 years. I wasn't about to pay it back, and couldn't afford attorneys back then.
Man, an attorney would have taken that case in a heartbeat on contingency. Meaning they only get paid if they win, and the their part (normally 1/3) comes out of the winnings. So, you never pay anything. It would have been a slam dunk win and would have taught PayPal a good lesson. I mean, the laws didn't suddenly change. They went into business knowing the rules/laws/regualtions/risks. What they did to you is just unconsconable.

OP
dirtytough
Thanks for all the replies. I went forward with it G&S. I figured it would be hard to scam someone that way but now days you never know.

Regards, Branden

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
One trick I've used in the past if I'm a little suspicious is asking for a specific pic of some part of the item that is not shown. Usually if it's a scam the replies stop there.

OP
dirtytough
Everything worked out. WTB add. The guy that responded it was his first post. Item arrived. There are so many scams it’s hard to keep up with all of them.

Thanks for the advice from all the posters.