Avoiding credit card interest on out of state draw applications/bonus point apps

TheCougar

WKR
Is there a good way to avoid credit card interest on out of state bonus point apps? Right now I've got over $2000 sitting on my credit card from New Mexico and Colorado and I haven't done Wyoming or Idaho yet... I don't normally carry any credit card debt and I can pay the card off right now if I wanted to, but then when I get the tag fee refunded I will have $2000 of credit on my card that I don't want. It seems my only option is to carry the debt and pay the interest until it is refunded or pay it off now and end up with a large positive balance on my card by this summer. For you guys that do multiple out of state apps, is there a way to avoid this?

pwsINC

WKR
Pay balance off for new mexico and colorado app. Use refund for for next apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
And I'm also assuming you want to draw at least 1-2 tags a year in places you are applying. So in the end it will be around 1,000 put forth as a credit..... which could be used for fuel on the trip etc. Makes a pretty closed loop for budget using money returned. From apps for tags and hunt costs..... also some states mail a refund anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I've applied for 0% interest credit cards in the past and use them until the introductory rate is done then cancel it and get another. I did that for about 10 years. It's kind of a pain having to always switch credit cards though. I'm not sure how bad that affects your credit? Never seemed to do much to mine. Anymore I just use my Cabelas card & figure the interest accrued is almost a wash in the points I get for using the card. I also apply for half the species and in half the states I used to. I'm trying to get out of the points scheme all together... but that's a subject for another thread!

Colorado will send you checks as a refund on may 12th. Pay the card out of savings and then put refund checks into savings.
Never pay interest on credit cards.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, I haven't paid credit card interest in my entire life and I don't plan on starting now. I'm mainly building BP, and I have virtually no chance to draw NM, so I expect all of it to be refunded.

circles

FNG
Colorado has always sent my preference point money back in a check.

If you have the money to pay it off, there's no good reason to pay interest on the card.

What would be the problem with a positive balance on your card? Just use it up.

I just get a 0% indroductory rate one. You still have to make min payments, but your aren't actually paying interest.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Since you say you can pay that amount off if you wanted to why not just keep that much available on your debit card and use that for apps and never pay any interest?

Trial153

WKR
I would just pay it off. A positive balance wouldn't bother me in the least as all our day to day and monthly expenses get paid via a credit card anyway. The only time it would bother me is about July or August when we switch cards for the rest of the years expenses as then when out dollar amount for cash back hits the yearly limit. I would not open new cards yearly for the zero percent for such a short term debt of tags front fees.

Interesting issue, I just use my Credit card for everything and any credits get used in short notice.

If your just buying points in WY you have until August I believe. Should have everything else refunded and done by then.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys certain on may 12th??? Seems like mine comes on July every year.

Colorado deer and elk results aren't even out until June I think. The 12th may be for sheep and goat.

colonel00

WKR
One option would be to sign up for airline credit cards or other rewards cards. I know many don't want to get more cards but it's an option. Usually you have to spend $500-1000 in 90 days to get the airline miles or whatever perk. Put your applications on the card and get the bonus rewards. Then pay the cards off. If you get refunds as credits, just use the cards when you travel for the hunts you drew.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Colorado takes forever to get a refund check in the mail. I don't want positive credit on my card because it makes budgeting and keeping track of it a hassle. It actually never occurred to me to use a debit card. That pretty much solves my issue! I think I will use a debit card from now on.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Colorado will send you checks as a refund on may 12th. Pay the card out of savings and then put refund checks into savings.
Never pay interest on credit cards.

This is what I do.

Again, NEVER pay interest on cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
Colorado takes forever to get a refund check in the mail. I don't want positive credit on my card because it makes budgeting and keeping track of it a hassle. It actually never occurred to me to use a debit card. That pretty much solves my issue! I think I will use a debit card from now on.

Capital one cuts me a check fairly quickly. i just have to remember to ask for it.

this is one refund i dont want back.