Avoiding duty from Great Britain?

So long story short I bought a used set of binos from a guy in GB. He sent it through Parcelhero, which went through UPS once it hit the states.

The package arrived yesterday and I'll pick it up next week when I get back from vacation.

My only real question is it claims I need to pay $100 in duty fees. Is there a way to get around that, or am I stuck paying it? It's a used set of binos so not sure why I need to pay duty. I can see if it was new from a retailer, but this was a private party sale.

Just curious. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I've bought stuff from the UK and never had to pay anything but shipping fees. Mine all came Royal Mail. I never heard of who shipped yours.

Clarktar

WKR
I've bought stuff from the UK and never had to pay anything but shipping fees. Mine all came Royal Mail. I never heard of who shipped yours.
Ditto

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
When I buy used items from US and send them to Canada I have to pay taxes and sometimes duty. However when shipping with USPS and Canada post 80% of the time the item just comes through without getting hits with fees. If I use UPS or FedEx I get NAILED with extra fees. Those companies bypass customs or something and just automatically collect fees on every product that comes through then they overcharge you what customs alone would have charged. Never import things using UPS or FedEx.

I am not sure how it works in US buts that's what i have experienced in Canada. Usually countries will tax you on items that you bring into the country regardless if new or used.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
" Never import things using UPS or FedEx."

What he said . They frequently add a brokerage fee as well . Whenever I order flyfishing or tying stuff I request USPS . I still tend to pay tax but no BS brokerage fee .

dotman

WKR
I've had UPS try to collect a tax/fee after the fact (item has been delivered) when shipping to Canada, I just laughed and hung up on them. I think your experiencing something similar.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I bought something on eBay from Spain that was €125 (approx $140) and the seller shipped today using "Es Cartas Postal international" (Espana (Spain) letter etc)

How do I know if I'll have to pay a duty? It was a flat rate postage of €30

OP
F
Well I guess I'll see what UPS says when I go pick it up. The email said it's ready for pick up but I need to pay $100. Maybe I can get the package without paying. We'll see I guess.

Someone told me shipping though USPS international is better as it avoids these issues. I didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk