Axis deer measurements

Jt13

FNG
I am trying to figure out how best to transport two sets of axis deer antlers/skulls from Hawaii. I will be putting them in a suitcase/duffle/dry bag padded with gear and clothing and checking them on the plane. I need to know what size/dimensions of a bag I need to pick up that will fit 28"- 32" axis buck skull and antlers. Planning on keeping whole skulls for a european mount and not skull capping. Anyone out there want to throw a tape measure on a buck they have laying around or offer any suggestions?

If not worried about record book status I'd use a replica skull. Way easier to cut the antlers off to fly with than trying to keep everything intact.

That's only advice I got, if you are dead set on keeping them together/un-split you might be better to ship separately rather than trying to fly them with you.

I am trying to figure out how best to transport two sets of axis deer antlers/skulls from Hawaii. I will be putting them in a suitcase/duffle/dry bag padded with gear and clothing and checking them on the plane. I need to know what size/dimensions of a bag I need to pick up that will fit 28"- 32" axis buck skull and antlers. Planning on keeping whole skulls for a european mount and not skull capping. Anyone out there want to throw a tape measure on a buck they have laying around or offer any suggestions?
Approx 36 x 24 (narrow)-36 (wider) x 24 depthish. I think a large duffel would be your best bet but if you shoot a wide one it might be a problem to fit the width in there. I have a narrow 30 inch buck thatd fit in my large amazon duffel no problem and I also have a wider 31inch buck thatd be more difficult. He's wider than most, i think most should fit fine. If it's really wide. I'd skull cap it then, split it and use a replica skull . I think that still works if you split but you might want to double check on that. Theres some pics to help you field judge

Attachments

• 20140618_212855.jpg
    20140618_212855.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170408_170126227.jpg
    IMG_20170408_170126227.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 22

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
The skull and/or antlers are probably gonna get broken in a duffle bag in checked baggage. You'd be much safer shipping it home via FedEx or UPS in a more sturdy box.

OP
Jt13

Jt13

FNG
Approx 36 x 24 (narrow)-36 (wider) x 24 depthish. I think a large duffel would be your best bet but if you shoot a wide one it might be a problem to fit the width in there. I have a narrow 30 inch buck thatd fit in my large amazon duffel no problem and I also have a wider 31inch buck thatd be more difficult. He's wider than most, i think most should fit fine. If it's really wide. I'd skull cap it then, split it and use a replica skull . I think that still works if you split but you might want to double check on that. Theres some pics to help you field judge
Thanks! I've got an extra large duffle that I'll use if the bucks will fit. I think most average size bucks should fit in there, it's 36x18x18. I'm hopeful it could be padded with clothes to protect them in transit.

You know anyone on Oahu that can help me get these skulls boiled/cleaned for transport? Will be in Honolulu for 7 days after the hunt

Thanks! I've got an extra large duffle that I'll use if the bucks will fit. I think most average size bucks should fit in there, it's 36x18x18. I'm hopeful it could be padded with clothes to protect them in transit.

You know anyone on Oahu that can help me get these skulls boiled/cleaned for transport? Will be in Honolulu for 7 days after the hunt
No. But I would ask whoever you're hunting with they most likely could arrange it help out with that