Axis Deer- Texas

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Went last weekend for a meat hunt (doe).
Yes... their meat is that good 😋
Used a 257 Weatherby Mag

Attachments

• A862259C-F223-44F3-AFE0-7441684E0311.jpeg
    A862259C-F223-44F3-AFE0-7441684E0311.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 263AE176-12F9-4745-86D9-DF27785B3186.jpeg
    263AE176-12F9-4745-86D9-DF27785B3186.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 55

FlyGuy

WKR
I was told that axis have two ruts per year? Is that not correct? Supposedly one in June and one in January (but each male only ruts once). So in June some will be hard horned and rutting hard, while some will be in velvet and growing beams for their rut in January.

You can’t cheat the mountain

jeffpg

WKR
Axis are not like whitetails at all in their rutting season. They drop their horns on or very near their birthday. The buck will breed anytime he is in a hard horned state, and you will always find a number of bucks in a hard horned state at any given time in a substantial herd. If you have a lot of Axis deer, then you will have some hard horned breeding bucks year round. The majority of bucks (75% perhaps) will be hard horned and rutting during the spring and summer, where as the minority will carry hard horns during the fall whitetail season & into winter. No one seems to know why, but I do believe that this is compounded by a large number of bucks being taken opportunistcally by hunters while whitetail hunting. Axis are herd animals and grazers, so they travel in large groups and feed much like cattle. Bucks will roam from area to area seeking out hot does and call to them in what is known as a "roar". I have a video posted on my Facebook of this with good sound quality but I can't figure out how to share it here. They also spar and fight a lot, and I have stumbled into some knock down, drag out battles between bucks while stalking them in the spring and summer. It is very common to encounter younger bucks sparing in areas with healthy numbers of Axis deer.

I hunt and have hunted these amazing critters in a lot of different areas all over western Texas, but I have one 5K acre area that belongs to a friend of mine that is a very well managed bowhunting only ranch. It is surrounded by huge ranches where hardly any hunting at all is done, and the whole area for miles around is completely loaded with turkeys, whitetails and most of all huge herds of Axis deer. The landowners trap them by the hundreds and don't even make a dent in the population. It's just a perfect place for Axis I suppose, and the miles of river that runs through it certainly helps with that, as Axis deer love water and I observe them drinking often. The 5K acre ranch my buddy owns is intensively managed for whitetails, including a protein feeding program, and is bow hunting only... This creates a absolutely wonderful trophy rich environment that is teeming with huge, heavy horned Axis bucks, as they benefit greatly from the feeding program.

My work allows for large blocks of time off and I normally spend weeks at a time chasing these wiley animals with my bow several times per year. I do a lot of very slowly and methodically stalking for them, and this is very challenging while helping me to learn much about these critters as I occassionally score on one, but I have recently began to utilize treestands along the river where they come to drink. This is looking extremely promising for taking more of the massive trophy bucks that are present.

FlyGuy

WKR
Axis are not like whitetails at all in their rutting season. They drop their horns on or very near their birthday. The buck will breed anytime he is in a hard horned state, and you will always find a number of bucks in a hard horned state at any given time in a substantial herd. If you have a lot of Axis deer, then you will have some hard horned breeding bucks year round. The majority of bucks (75% perhaps) will be hard horned and rutting during the spring and summer, where as the minority will carry hard horns during the fall whitetail season & into winter. No one seems to know why, but I do believe that this is compounded by a large number of bucks being taken opportunistcally by hunters while whitetail hunting. Axis are herd animals and grazers, so they travel in large groups and feed much like cattle. Bucks will roam from area to area seeking out hot does and call to them in what is known as a "roar". I have a video posted on my Facebook of this with good sound quality but I can't figure out how to share it here. They also spar and fight a lot, and I have stumbled into some knock down, drag out battles between bucks while stalking them in the spring and summer. It is very common to encounter younger bucks sparing in areas with healthy numbers of Axis deer.

I hunt and have hunted these amazing critters in a lot of different areas all over western Texas, but I have one 5K acre area that belongs to a friend of mine that is a very well managed bowhunting only ranch. It is surrounded by huge ranches where hardly any hunting at all is done, and the whole area for miles around is completely loaded with turkeys, whitetails and most of all huge herds of Axis deer. The landowners trap them by the hundreds and don't even make a dent in the population. It's just a perfect place for Axis I suppose, and the miles of river that runs through it certainly helps with that, as Axis deer love water and I observe them drinking often. The 5K acre ranch my buddy owns is intensively managed for whitetails, including a protein feeding program, and is bow hunting only... This creates a absolutely wonderful trophy rich environment that is teeming with huge, heavy horned Axis bucks, as they benefit greatly from the feeding program.

My work allows for large blocks of time off and I normally spend weeks at a time chasing these wiley animals with my bow several times per year. I do a lot of very slowly and methodically stalking for them, and this is very challenging while helping me to learn much about these critters as I occassionally score on one, but I have recently began to utilize treestands along the river where they come to drink. This is looking extremely promising for taking more of the massive trophy bucks that are present.

If you ever need any company out there...

You can’t cheat the mountain

Jardo

WKR
Great advice on this thread. I’ve only hunted them in Hawaii but I usually kill a dozen or so each year. They are delicious. Pay the money and take a doe or two. You will want the extra meat.

The best advice is to aim forward. I lost a few when I was learning to hunt these by holding off the shoulder. I leaned the hard way that’s a liver/gut shot. Bust the shoulder and it’s will drop right there. Their lungs are further forward.

These are tough animals and can run a long way if not hit right.

I euro mount mine that are over 30 inches and have 3 or so hides tanned. You’re gonna love hunting these deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arminho

FNG
The first time I ever hunted Axis, I was out looking for hogs with a friend around midnight. Pitch black, no moon. All of a sudden I hear this weird bark! Like a dog almost. Then again and again as it gets closer. Turns out we had walked up on some Axis and I had no clue what the hell I was hearing!

My absolute favorite Texas animal to hunt and eat! Just started my 2020 off with an Axis hunt last month!

Big Bore

FNG
Unbelievably good eating. Good luck on your hunt. I killed this doe two weeks ago with my Smith 460 xvr about two hours west of San Antonio.
image.jpeg

jspradley

WKR
Axis meat is disgusting, you don't want it. I live in Houston and will gladly meet up with you to take it off your hands, I'm just that generous.

jeffpg

WKR
I've processed many axis in 100 degree plus temps. You're best off to get one down as early as possible in the morning, but it isn't always the case. Where I hunt in west Texas it's actually very dry and usually quite cool at night compared to the high daytime temps found in summer.

def90

WKR
So... It's been a year, did the OP go on his hunt?

I'm starting to look in to Axis hunts in Texas but most if not all the places I find online are catering to the all inclusive luxury market. I'm happy with staying in basic accommodations including my tent and eating sandwiches if I have to and just want to spot and stalk bowhunt in a location with decent odds, maybe semi guided.

So... It's been a year, did the OP go on his hunt?

I'm starting to look in to Axis hunts in Texas but most if not all the places I find online are catering to the all inclusive luxury market. I'm happy with staying in basic accommodations including my tent and eating sandwiches if I have to and just want to spot and stalk bowhunt in a location with decent odds, maybe semi guided.
Texas is almost all private land so do expect to have to do semi-guided or fully guided. Many places will have you sit in a blind so be specific about wanting to spot and stalk when talking to the outfitters.

You should be able to find hunts that provide less luxury. Look at Texas Hunting Forums as you can usually find hunts on there. Find out about the cost and availability of others species as well.

DEW0341

WKR
I am moving from Oahu, Hawaii to Georgetown, TX in a month. Very excited about the opportunity to hunt these critters with the recurve and rifle.

I’ll be putting in for a bunch of the draws this year, likely won’t pull any tags. Still learning the way around leases and private property stuff.

Growing up in the public lands of the west and Hawaii and now moving to Texas has me starting all over at square one learning how things are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am moving from Oahu, Hawaii to Georgetown, TX in a month. Very excited about the opportunity to hunt these critters with the recurve and rifle.

I’ll be putting in for a bunch of the draws this year, likely won’t pull any tags. Still learning the way around leases and private property stuff.

Growing up in the public lands of the west and Hawaii and now moving to Texas has me starting all over at square one learning how things are done.

I wouldn’t even waste my time with the Texas Draw…. It’s pretty much impossible. Stick to paying for access on a private ranch and you’ll be knee deep in Axis whenever you want!