Axis Deer Texas

def90

WKR
I'm interested as well but you probably want to narrow it down a bit. Rifle, archery, spot/stalk vs just stand hunting, lodge, tent, no accomodations.. and so on.

I've been casually looking myself for a good archery spot and stalk DIYish type place but most of them want to put you over a water hole in a stand.

Unckebob

WKR
I have heard the Axis deer population in Texas had a tough year due to weather.

BTW, from personal experience, a 243 will get the job done but you might not get an exit wound. We found the doe I shot, but it literally did not bleed out at all. When we found her, we joked I scared her to death.

jeffpg

WKR
I'm interested as well but you probably want to narrow it down a bit. Rifle, archery, spot/stalk vs just stand hunting, lodge, tent, no accomodations.. and so on.

I've been casually looking myself for a good archery spot and stalk DIYish type place but most of them want to put you over a water hole in a stand.
I have the perfect place for you.

jeffpg

WKR
Not really- just what I heard of course, having never been in a strip joint before :D

I have heard the Axis deer population in Texas had a tough year due to weather.

BTW, from personal experience, a 243 will get the job done but you might not get an exit wound. We found the doe I shot, but it literally did not bleed out at all. When we found her, we joked I scared her to death.
The freeze that hit last year did not affect all areas equally. The 5k ranch that I’m affiliated with experienced zero impact on the axis population. Many other places weren’t as fortunate. Our abundance of food and river bottom cover was surely a factor.

As others have said, a bit of narrowing down will help.
Archery or rifle?
High Fence or Free Range?
If High Fence, do you want a big ranch or small?

For what it is worth, the best time of year to hunt them is mid-June through the beginning of August as that is when the majority of the rutting action takes place and they are roaring. As you can expect, it is hot during that time, which is why hunting a water hole is a good strategy.
Spot and stalk is very tough in most places that Axis deer live due to the type of terrain and foliage.
My recommendation if you are looking for that type of hunt, check out Hawaii rather than Texas.

South/Hill Country Texan here. The 281 corridor was hit pretty hard from the freeze. Most of these operations are high fenced feeder hunts so they may have just brought in fresh stock to replenish what was lost in the freeze. I would opt not to stay in any type of non air conditioned space if that’s a thing in my part of the state. I sweat sitting outside on Christmas down here.

As others have said, a bit of narrowing down will help.
Archery or rifle?
High Fence or Free Range?
If High Fence, do you want a big ranch or small?

For what it is worth, the best time of year to hunt them is mid-June through the beginning of August as that is when the majority of the rutting action takes place and they are roaring. As you can expect, it is hot during that time, which is why hunting a water hole is a good strategy.
Spot and stalk is very tough in most places that Axis deer live due to the type of terrain and foliage.
My recommendation if you are looking for that type of hunt, check out Hawaii rather than Texas.
The timing is something to think about for sure. Some hunts are available in May and still in velvet and weather is pretty good then. I did my first one this past July (spot/stalk on 10k ac ranch) and it was an unusually hot (over 100° for 50ish days) but the animals were pretty active. I passed on 2 and shot this 33" brute, from a small stool under the cover of a shade tree, it was 104° degrees that day!

Attachments

• 202211272134518275586232493.jpg
    202211272134518275586232493.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 137

jeffpg

WKR
104 degrees. I'd be afraid the meat would spoil too quickly.
Nah, I can't tell you how many I have taken in temps north of 100 degrees. I have a skinning rack in the shade right next to the walk in cooler. You really only need to get them field dressed and in the cooler. You can always come back during the cool of the evening or morning and finish the job. You can even finish them inside the cooler. It is very arid in west Texas and that helps too.

I’m going on a axis doe hunt this weekend in Concan, it’s a rickety little operation bit it’s a cheap way to acquire axis meat

jeffpg

WKR
I may have an opening for a few bow hunters in June. Possibly in July as well. These are the best 2 months for the Axis rut on my ranch.

TXHunt

FNG
For those wanting to hunt free range spot and stalk Axis here in Texas I can’t recommend Dustin McRae enough! He runs an amazing operation on the Brockman ranch just south east of Sonora. It’s over 10,000 all low fence. You will do lots of riding and glassing, then stalking to get in range. And you will see tons of Axis. His website is http://www.texassafaris.net/about.html

As for those talking about the freeze, yes some areas here got hit hard, but others the numbers actually increased. Ours did, we are north east of Sonora and our axis numbers have exploded.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging in here for any recommendations. Low fence or free range only, with room to actually hunt. Rifle, spot & stalk. Do not care about trophies, interested in the meat and the experience. Does are fine. Bonus hunts (hogs or ??) would be great. Accommodations on site, doesn’t have to be high class type place, but a decent place to cook, eat with AC. Food prepared by host would be fine. Need to have a place to process game, I’m ok doing it myself or with help at a reasonable cost. Would prefer un-guided, don’t know what semi-guided is but maybe? In the right situation a guided hunt may be ok, never done that before but to be blunt I don’t want to get into a situation with someone I don’t know looking over my shoulder….shoot that one! Type a deal. Generally looking for a fun hunt, low pressure, relaxing trip with good shot opportunity for reasonable price. Welcome all recommendations, PM me if that’s better. Thanks everyone.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of questions from the post above this. Some of the things youre looking for may not work with some of the other things youre also seeking.
Dont get too hung up on high fence low fence. A high fence on a big ranch will still afford opportunity to get skunked. You could do a 3 day axis hunt on a huge acreage high fence and not see a buck. A high fence is no guaranteed success.
If you go to a ranch you may have somebody over your shoulder telling you shoot dont shoot. The animals are worth money, the guides probably been burned by yahoos taking lousy wounding shots or shooting stuff too small or too big that then they wont pay for.
Look at texas hunting forum. Theres lots of hunts offered there by outfitters. If you want a low budget deal they pop up frequently but go quick.
West texas hunt org. is a good outfit. The owner Mike is very honest, hardworking guy, a good person, looks out for his employees, he wont sell you something he cant deliver. I trust him.

jeffpg

WKR
What about recurves? Trad guys welcome? Good blinds?
Yes, of course. Any archery equipment is welcome.

I have several ground blinds and you are more than welcome to set up your own. Building a natural blind along travel routes and on water sources from the native mesquite is a good tactic.

My favorite method is slipping into the wind, while looking for the movement of that tell tale spotted reddish/orange/brown hide but also listening for the elk-like vocalizations from axis does and the roaring of the rutting axis bucks. With some patience and stealth you can often get within bow range of them. There's a lot of eyes, ears, and noses though, as axis are often found in herds numbering from a few to a couple dozen or more. In heavily populated areas like ours it isn't uncommon to see a hundred at a time.
The best case scenario is to catch a roaring buck in transit from one group to another, or on the prowl, or simply feeding alone. He will often roar occasionally, and sometimes almost constantly, which makes keeping track of him easy as you ease in closer for a shot.

It's a challenging and rewarding way to hunt them, and if you mess up and get busted you can simply regroup and continue to hunt the same animals or go to a different area and find another group or single animal. With 5000 acres of prime habitat, they are pretty well scattered across the property in good numbers.