Axis or FMJ for Elk

logomount

FNG
I’ll be going on my first hunt in September. I’ve got a dozen brand new 5mm FMJs and a dozen new Axis both in 340 spine...which is the better arrow?

My draw length is 27” and I’m shooting 70lbs on a Triax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanCmns

WKR
I have ne experience with FM's but both are good shafts I've killed a bull with a axis I'm running a 300 axis with 50grain insert and 100grain head they fly well I'd run whatever grouped the best

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
I plan to load the front up on both with either 50 or 75 grain inserts...based on GPI the axis will be easier to achieve a higher FOC and maintain a higher FPS

Both are great but the axis will allow you to get out a bit further. I have had success with both but the axis is my go to for elk. I shoot 71lbs with a 29 inch draw and have 50grains of brass up front with a 100gr point. Pin gaps with the FMJ will be fairly large but if they work for you/group better, go with whatever you are confident in.

I have had issues with bending the fmj's. I wouldn't want to have them in my quiver, fall, and be wondering if they are straight. I have bent them just target shooting. Don't know if I did it removing from the target or not. Some where pretty difficult to remove. All carbon for me for a hunting arrow.

I've been on the same dozen fmj's for about 5 years and have about 8 left. 2 fell out of the quiver and 2 were terrible shots. I shoot 300 spine at 70 lbs. 28" draw. Have never bent one just hitting a target. I can see how they might bend removing them from a particularly hard target.

No experience with Axis, but see no reason to switch from the FMJ's.

Sturgeon

WKR
I've also had issues with the fmjs bending and getting dented. Switched to the axis and like them a lot more.

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
What does everyone look for in FOC for an elk? The axis should be easier to get a higher FOC

What does everyone look for in FOC for an elk? The axis should be easier to get a higher FOC

I dont look for a number...I shoot whatever is grouping best. This past month I spent two weeks shooting a dozen axis...six with 50gr and six with a standard hit insert. Over time, it was pretty clear that the 50gr was grouping better overall. I feel like too many people focus on a high number for FOC as opposed to what works best. The best setup is the one you know is going to hit where you want it to.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I won't be any help.........but you can't go wrong either way. I've shot both, and like both.
Good luck this year!

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
I’m leaning Axis with 75 grains up front and a 100 grain head. According to Gold Tips calculators that will give me 13.5% FOC shooting at approximately 273 FPS...should be good adequate

splojo

FNG
I just ordered a set of FMJs to build for my elk hunt! Im shooting a 29" draw at 70lbs with a 300 spine. Im going to shoot a 125gr broadhead as well. Ill post some pics when done with the build!

Brendan

WKR
What I'm doing is

Axis 300
50 gr brass
100 gr head
25 gr iron will collar.

Remove the collar and broadhead, practice / tune with 125 gr field points.

Catahoula

WKR
I shoot FMJ 340’s 6 years now going into 7th season. No issues. Spouse shoots Axis 400’s, she has busted up a few of those. Either will work. Good luck!

OP
logomount

logomount

FNG
What I'm doing is

Axis 300
50 gr brass
100 gr head
25 gr iron will collar.

Remove the collar and broadhead, practice / tune with 125 gr field points.

How do you like those iron will collars? I haven’t thought about adding that to my build

I’ll be going on my first hunt in September. I’ve got a dozen brand new 5mm FMJs and a dozen new Axis both in 340 spine...which is the better arrow?

My draw length is 27” and I’m shooting 70lbs on a Triax

I've hunted with both. I prefer the Axis 5MM 340s. They tend to be a bit more durable and better priced than the FMJs.