Axis or FMJ for Elk

Fmj. Heavier the better. Foc doesn’t matter unless going through heavy bone and that won’t happen anyways unless you’re well above 600gr with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve only shot axis arrows personally, but know more people that use fmj’S. Both are awesome but it seems the fmjs aren’t as forgiving on misses since the aluminum can bend. But you should have good arrow weight with either or. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to shoot either.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve shot both in the past, but I shoot gold tip hunter now. The axis is a better arrow than the FMJ, but I think the gold tips are a tougher arrow at a better price.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I switched from CE Maxima Reds to 5mm FMJ two years ago to get extra weight. I couldn’t be happier with to change. Started with 2 dozen shafts and still have 21. Two were busted by animals, one still lost behind target. I have yet to trash one by missing the target.
IMO, if you miss and hit something hard, it’s not going to matter if it’s a Axis or FMJ.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Dropping brass inserts in the end of a shaft is not always the answer. You instantly change the spine and tune of the arrow.

Lytro

WKR
I shoot a 70# Triax as well, but at 30". 579 gr total arrow weight at 264 fps.
Match Grade FMJ 300 w/ wraps
AAE Max Stealth in 4 fletch configuration
50 gr Brass HIT
100 gr Exodus

bvangor

FNG
I’ll be going on my first hunt in September. I’ve got a dozen brand new 5mm FMJs and a dozen new Axis both in 340 spine...which is the better arrow?

My draw length is 27” and I’m shooting 70lbs on a Triax

@logomount what kind of FPS are you getting out this? I shoot 27 with a Mathews tactic and have the 340 5 mm axis

I’ll be going on my first hunt in September. I’ve got a dozen brand new 5mm FMJs and a dozen new Axis both in 340 spine...which is the better arrow?

My draw length is 27” and I’m shooting 70lbs on a Triax

Sell the fmj’s and use the axis.

Axis is one of my favorite hunting arrows, fmj’s are my least favorite… I see zero benefits of the fmj’s… zero

What does everyone look for in FOC for an elk? The axis should be easier to get a higher FOC

38%, I have found that to be the Roosevelt bull knuckle breaking threshold… haven’t proven it yet, but I’m pretty sure the theory is sound

Seriously, don’t get too wrapped up in foc, 150-200gr up front will give you plenty of foc, arrows aren’t magic regardless of the claims… it’s not worth going way out of your way to get high foc.

I think a 450+ gr arrow will have plenty of foc inherently. Avoid extremes, extremes are very niche, which means it’s not best for most of us.

You can build a 30% foc arrow that weighs 700 gr and it doesn’t guarantee you will break heavy bone on an elk… it might give you a little better chance, but it’s not worth a maybe to go way out of your way.

I have been all over the board killing elk with 380-642gr arrows and everything in between… none are magic. Make a good shot and you’re packing meat, make a bad shot and it’s a crap shoot at best, regardless of foc or arrow weight.

I personally like that 525-550gr range, it’s that happy medium for me and what I do