Axis or FMJ?

Beendare

WKR
Honestly though the Axis are supposed to be .002 or .003 right? I can find the straightest 28" of the arrow usually. So good so far,

Yeah I've been shooting these Axis off and on since they came out- so a couple decades. They are a good shaft.

Whenever a company switches their program, I'm a bit suspicious. I did have a fairly high rate of batches not tuning...oh about 10, 12 years ago I think it was. Easton had changed their manufacturing process. For about the last 8 years of BH testing, its rare for me to get a bad Axis arrow....no spine inconsistency showing up when shooting BH's. In the past, there was a one or two year period where I had as many as 3 or 4 arrows not BH tune.

Seems it was a fluke, and Easton rectified it fairly quickly. Axis are the gold standard, IMO.....but I have no doubt carbon shaft manufacturing by the others companies has caught up with them constantly improving.

I would be cautious about some of the thin wall carbons as I have never had so many arrows break when I was shooting those for 3D. I couldn't get through the year with those Maxima....where I've gone multiple years shooting the same Axis arrows.

OP
I

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Also Op
Dont be surprised if you have to go to a stiffer arrow then you were shooting before, as adding weight will weaken the spine.

For the added weight, I was wondering if I should go a bit stiffer spine. Currently shooting a 340 destroyer, 28” at 68# 100gr head, 50gr insert, arrow weight 450ish. Think a 340 spine is heavy enough?

Thanks to all for the feedback, honestly thought I would be talked into FMJ, good to know I should go with my gut.

IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look thru the archery forum the is an At2 thread and the Op will run your setup thru the program for you. That or just testing is the only way to tell. I'm def not an expert.
Just wanted to make sure you knew added weight weakens your spine.
Going to a 300 axis also jumps you to 10.7 gpi if I remember correctly.
Lots of options man. Too many sometimes lol.
Imo just get something solid that shoots well the rest is splitting hairs and can really drive a guy that doesn't absolutely love it mad.

NEhunter

WKR
If you google “archers advantage online”, you can get unlimited access to their software for a year for $12. I find it pretty useful.

OP
I

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Great info, Appreciate the advice. Being into Guns and Bows, Yes, splitting hairs you have to be careful on where you invest time, Things can get carried away, you then realize you neglected a step in another area, like scouting, Fitness etc.

Thanks Men.

Yeah I have to finalize my archery setup.
A muzzy. And most likely a new rifle.

I've just got a buddy the will be shooting like 2-3" groups at 60 and will just up and change something just to try it out.
I always laugh cause how much better can it really get.

My preference is a little more weight up front so I would choose the Axis. Not a huge fan of HIT, so I would look at GoldTip Accutough inserts and a 125 gr tip to get the 150 gr total up front.

If it were my arrow...

ILph4

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings! Looking to update my setup to a bit heavier arrow, so have a pretty simple question for the masses and looking for some field Advice on New Arrows. 28" DL, shooting Axis 9.5/340 , Currently looking at either a 9.5 Grain Axis with Brass insert,,, Or a 11.2 FMJ with no insert.

Would the Heavier forward center with the axis be an advantage, Or go FMJ and have a better arrow? Either way, Cost is negligible.

Thanks in advance.

I shot the FMJ Injexion one season and they performed fine. I’ve since switched to the Axis 340 with the standard insert and 125 grain heads. They are performing phenomenally

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It always sucks when they introduce a 'Match Grade'....as what they do is just select the best of the shafts for match...and then sell the rest as regular shafts.

When Trophy Ridge came out with their arrows back in 2008 I think, they advertised their Crush series as .0008" straightness, and then their 3 other series as less and less. Later on I read that they had to make 18 dozen shafts in order to cull just a dozen of the Crush series that met those specs. So they always had WAYYYY more of the other series arrows than the Crush. I think that's one reason why they stopped making them.......unfortunately. Still the best arrows I've ever shot.......for consistency and durability. I stopped shooting ACC's when I got those Crush arrows.

But they took a lot of work to make them more functional for hunting. They had a serious shiny glare when the sun reflected off of them, so I'd have to run 600+ grit paper over them to get a matte finish. And then I'd toss the outserts and put HIT's in them. I'm back to shooting them again since all my Kinetics wobble like crazy.......even though those 300's should be way underspined at 75lbs and 32 1/2" draw. But they shoot great.

Last edited:
Go with a 300 Axis match grade. Use the brass insert. You could add a footer if you choose. That’d be a great setup.

OR, I shot the FMJs for elk and mule deer this past year. Hard hitting arrows but looking for better durability and value. I recently switched over to to the Axis 340 Matchgrade and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I found that properly spined Axis shafts give me alot more flexibility in my hunting set up. I like to keep my total arrow weight around 450 grs. and I can do this with either a weighted insert or 125 FP/BH. A nice bonus is that my arrow FOC increases.

kodiakfly

WKR
How am I not bending my FMJ’s? You guys make it sound like they bend if you put them in your quiver too forcefully. I’ve had great luck with them since 2013, killed some stuff and never had one bend to where I notice or it doesn’t spin. I don’t shoot single spots very often and I’ve got my stump/grouse arrows but even they’re doing pretty well. Are you bending the 4mm?

kodiakfly

WKR
I've never tried the 4mm FMJ's. But the regular ones stopped spinning true after just three short weeks of shooting into targets. And it was always the last 6-8" closest to the insert end.

Holy crap. That’s like a warranty claim. Bag targets or 3D?

enemyway

FNG
4mm FMJ injexion user here. No bending unless they hit something after a pass through. They pull beautifully out of foam targets. The double inserted 280 spine flies great out of my Full Throttle 30" 70#. I did have two mushroom at the tip from hitting something hard inside a 3d target.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Holy crap. That’s like a warranty claim. Bag targets or 3D?

Just a few 3D, but mostly long range into Pacific Butts (hay style) with a heavy rubber matting behind them. The arrows were always into or poking out the back of the matting. And this was in August prepping for elk season. I quickly went back to plan A which was my original before I even got the FMJ's. But I had heard such great things about the FMJ's that I really wanted to try them. Now I wouldn't use them if they gave me a lifetime supply. I don't like babying my equipment, and I like shooting through 2x6's and stuff, etc.