Axis or FMJ?

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings! Looking to update my setup to a bit heavier arrow, so have a pretty simple question for the masses and looking for some field Advice on New Arrows. 28" DL, shooting Axis 9.5/340 , Currently looking at either a 9.5 Grain Axis with Brass insert,,, Or a 11.2 FMJ with no insert.

Would the Heavier forward center with the axis be an advantage, Or go FMJ and have a better arrow? Either way, Cost is negligible.

Thanks in advance.

big44a4

WKR
Agreed I’d go axis too. More durable than FMJ in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
Go with a 300 Axis match grade. Use the brass insert. You could add a footer if you choose. That’d be a great setup.

This has been a very hard setup to beat and has treated me super wel!

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Im in a very similar position as you. These are the two arrows I built, both are 28.25" -

Axis 340, 50gr brass insert, 100gr head...450gr total weight (13.8% FOC).....267fps (65# draw)
FMJ 340, 75gr brass insert, 100gr head...530gr total weight (11.8% FOC).....249fps (65# draw)

Both tune well but I think the Axis is more consistent probably because its faster...

OR Archer

WKR
Match Grade is the best weight and straightness tolerance available in the Axis shaft.
A footer on a carbon arrow is an aluminum sleeve that covers the first 1.5-2” of the arrow to increase its structural integrity against hard impacts.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Match Grade is the best weight and straightness tolerance available in the Axis shaft.
A footer on a carbon arrow is an aluminum sleeve that covers the first 1.5-2” of the arrow to increase its structural integrity against hard impacts.

Thanks!

TravisIN

WKR

Haven’t tried footers but I use the BARs and they have helped with durability. Plenty durable without them but I feel like they help

Im in a very similar position as you. These are the two arrows I built, both are 28.25" -

Axis 340, 50gr brass insert, 100gr head...450gr total weight (13.8% FOC).....267fps (65# draw)
FMJ 340, 75gr brass insert, 100gr head...530gr total weight (11.8% FOC).....249fps (65# draw)

Both tune well but I think the Axis is more consistent probably because its faster...

I would say its because you were on the edge of under spine, and the 75 gen insert you are under spine. That has caused the consistency.

As for the OP I dont shoot FMJ because of the potential to bend.

Also Op
Dont be surprised if you have to go to a stiffer arrow then you were shooting before, as adding weight will weaken the spine.

I'm a big fan of the Axis shafts. Not a ton of experience with the FMJ's. My 300 spine axis with 75 gr insert and 100 gr heads come in right at 500 grains which is $ for my setup!

Beendare

WKR
Axis have been very good arrows for me shooting 3D and hunting. I've killed over 100 critters with them.

It always sucks when they introduce a 'Match Grade'....as what they do is just select the best of the shafts for match...and then sell the rest as regular shafts.

Well its not the same as the regular shafts in the past as now they are taking away the best ones! They almost force you to get the match grade....though I Haven't bought any new shafts recently.

Thess87

WKR
Axis for me. Didn’t want the risk of a bent arrow (although small there’s still a chance). I will say a friend shoots fmj and he gets alittle better penetration than me on the 3-d targets even with me being 50grains heavier.

Axis have been very good arrows for me shooting 3D and hunting. I've killed over 100 critters with them.

It always sucks when they introduce a 'Match Grade'....as what they do is just select the best of the shafts for match...and then sell the rest as regular shafts.

Well its not the same as the regular shafts in the past as now they are taking away the best ones! They almost force you to get the match grade....though I Haven't bought any new shafts recently.

I bought a half doz Axis recently, would assume it's new stock. Same process I always do as far as cutting out any wobble if there is any.

That's a good point on the match grade shafts though I didn't think about that. Smart marketing. Honestly though the Axis are supposed to be .002 or .003 right? I can find the straightest 28" of the arrow usually. So good so far, all 6 spin well w/broadheads

I shoot the axis 340's but recently switched to Black Eagle's because i got a great deal off someone in the classifieds and i was underspined when i switched from 60# limbs to 70# limbs. I am going to see how the BE Carnivore's work out but i wouldn't hesitate to go back to Axis in either the 300 or 260 spine with a 75gr insert.