Axis vs Talus

I've narrowed down my pant choices to these two. Can anyone comment on the differences? Kuiu website says Axis is warmer and half an ounce lighter, but doesn't specify why. I'm guessing Axis may have thicker fleece, but not sure?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I have both, and those are now the only two pair of pants that I take with me in September for two-week remote drop hunts up here. I've got two years with the Talus and one year adding the Axis. I like them both for different reasons...I really like the knee pads with the Talus (absent in the Hybrid)...and I like the placement of the water-proofing on the front paneling of the leg with the Hybrid.

You're correct sir...the Axis are fully fleece-backed with a continuous/nongrid style fleece, which makes them feel a bit warmer to me. The Talus is fleece-backed with a somewhat lighter grid-style fleece just at the seat, knee, and the lower legs...not the thighs nor the back part at the knee joint area.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The main difference is the waterproofing panel areas and taped seams on the Axis...totally absent on the Guide pants. Also, the fleece on the Axis appears to be slightly thinner to me than the Guide pants.

OP
Huntingpreacher
I have both, and those are now the only two pair of pants that I take with me in September for two-week remote drop hunts up here. I've got two years with the Talus and one year adding the Axis. I like them both for different reasons...I really like the knee pads with the Talus (absent in the Hybrid)...and I like the placement of the water-proofing on the front paneling of the leg with the Hybrid.

You're correct sir...the Axis are fully fleece-backed with a continuous/nongrid style fleece, which makes them feel a bit warmer to me. The Talus is fleece-backed with a somewhat lighter grid-style fleece just at the seat, knee, and the lower legs...not the thighs nor the back part at the knee joint area.
So is there a standard version of the Talus and a hybrid version?

tam9492

WKR
No, there's the Talus and the Axis Hybrid. Hybrid means that sections of the pant are waterproof while others are not.

The main difference is the waterproofing panel areas and taped seams on the Axis...totally absent on the Guide pants. Also, the fleece on the Axis appears to be slightly thinner to me than the Guide pants.

The axis bonding of fleece to outer fabric also results in wind resistance far superior to the guides. I haven’t felt wind through the axis jacket yet but I know it’s not wind prooF.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
The axis will be warmer due to the complete fleece backing + waterproof sections. Axis pockets are roomier to get into with winter gloves on. The Talus will be less warm due to fleece backing only in the waterproof sections and its a lighter "grid" fleece too. The Talus pockets are slimmer and harder to access with gloves on. The Talus primeflex fabric is thicker over the waterproof sections and I find it a bit more abrasion resistant vs that on the Axis.

I treat the Talus as more of all-rounder workforce pant, when you're active through possibly rougher terrain and may encounter wet conditions like creek crossings, damp grass, light snow.

I mainly use the axis in snow covered, below freezing conditions. Or when its cold and I may be less active and need more thermal protection due to inactivity.

Also if you like wearing gaiters the axis pant will accommodate them. The talus knee pads interfere.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Also a fit tip on the guides, they'll fit roomier than the axis or talus to accommodate thicker thermal layers.

yeah I have guides, they are definetly roomier, I think it’s because it’s a cooler weather pant so maybe better for layering.

OP
Huntingpreacher
The axis will be warmer due to the complete fleece backing + waterproof sections. Axis pockets are roomier to get into with winter gloves on. The Talus will be less warm due to fleece backing only in the waterproof sections and its a lighter "grid" fleece too. The Talus pockets are slimmer and harder to access with gloves on. The Talus primeflex fabric is thicker over the waterproof sections and I find it a bit more abrasion resistant vs that on the Axis.

I treat the Talus as more of all-rounder workforce pant, when you're active through possibly rougher terrain and may encounter wet conditions like creek crossings, damp grass, light snow.

I mainly use the axis in snow covered, below freezing conditions. Or when its cold and I may be less active and need more thermal protection due to inactivity.

Also if you like wearing gaiters the axis pant will accommodate them. The talus knee pads interfere.
Dang, this is awesome info! So it sounds like if I'm going to be covering a lot of miles, the Talus would be preferable. Sound right?

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the temps, you'll be less likely to overheat being active in the talus for sure. We all have different tolerances but for me the Talus is perfect when active in the 30s to low 60s. You can wear thermals to squeeze out lower temps but if your hunt will be dead of winter sub freezing, windy, snow all day I prefer the Axis or guides.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Depending on the temps, you'll be less likely to overheat being active in the talus for sure. We all have different tolerances but for me the Talus is perfect when active in the 30s to low 60s. You can wear thermals to squeeze out lower temps but if your hunt will be dead of winter sub freezing, windy, snow all day I prefer the Axis or guides.
Roger that. Mornings start in the single digits to mid 20s, but afternoons warm to the 50s. I think I'll order both and see which one works better. Greatly appreciate the info.