AZ AO ELK Tag Unit # 23

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
Hello I got the call from AZ today,
Notifying me that if i want to take a Cow Elk Tag and lose my points, Being a first time elk hunter, I am going to take it.
The Hunt is an AO Tag, Near Mesa Arizona, Late Season - which appears to be in a tough unit due to the topography
I would like to know if you guys have any guide recommendations for Guides, I am comfortable going solo, But i do not have all the gear to keep warm during this hunt, which is my main concern, Also if you guys can share any input for this unit that'd be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

WRO

WKR
Burnt timber outfitters would be my call

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
What season? The Mesa end of this unit is going to be 100+ degrees until mid to late October. I've spent time recreating in the south end of 23 and have never seen any sign of elk. I suspect that they are primarily in the Northern 1/3 of this unit below the Mogollon Rim. You'll want Onx for AZ on your phone and a paper map of your unit. If I had that cow tag I'd probably sit water morning and evening. Flat Line maps are great and show all of the roads, water sources etc in your unit.

You do not want to accidentally wander on to the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. If you drive an ATV onto the res they will take it from you.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/23/

OP
R

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
What season? The Mesa end of this unit is going to be 100+ degrees until mid to late October. I've spent time recreating in the south end of 23 and have never seen any sign of elk. I suspect that they are primarily in the Northern 1/3 of this unit below the Mogollon Rim. You'll want Onx for AZ on your phone and a paper map of your unit. If I had that cow tag I'd probably sit water morning and evening. Flat Line maps are great and show all of the roads, water sources etc in your unit.

You do not want to accidentally wander on to the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. If you drive an ATV onto the res they will take it from you.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/23/
Late Season Tag, Nov 11-23, I think based on research today the weather will be in favor looks like 2 yrs historical data is low in the 40s and 88 degrees tops in the month of November. I have onyx,
thank you for the Info for the Flat Maps. That is great to have will purchase

Late Season Tag, Nov 11-23, I think based on research today the weather will be in favor looks like 2 yrs historical data is low in the 40s and 88 degrees tops in the month of November. I have onyx,
thank you for the Info for the Flat Maps. That is great to have will purchase

Sent you a PM with reference to a top-notch outfitter that lives in the unit. Let me know if you got that PM.

UZJ100

FNG
Good luck, I am not far from that unit I hope to draw my first tag next year, I might get an OTC tag and try the Verde Valley hunt area this year.

Rich.maes

FNG
Guide John Stallone, days in the wild outfitters. I hunted elk late season archery in AZ with him. We got on elk every day but I could get it done. Those late archery hunts are tough but it can be done. I had bull tag tho.