Az Bull Tag!!!!

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Well got pretty darn lucky and drew an 11m bull tag first season! Never hunted az before but from what I’m seeing lots of ppl like to sit water tanks. Going to try to get up there sometime in July or august to scout for a weekend or two since it’s only 7 hrs away. Is this really a hunt that you’d shoot the first bull you saw on? From what I’ve seen people have harvested some really nice bulls and it boarders great units all around. I’ll be in touch with the biologist as well. I’d appreciate any input or intel and if not, it was worth a shot! Hopefully I’ll be updating this post in sept with a stud bull and what would be my first archery elk! Super pumped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
I'd love to have that tag. Sitting water may be the best plan. It would be pretty easy to chase them out of the huntable areas if you pressure them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Blackcow

WKR
There are some great bulls in 11m. It is basically Flag and the area just around it, and most people with the tag will know exactly where those bigger bills are. Don’t plan on hiking away from people. If you go one way you’ll be out of unit, and if you go the other you’ll be spike camping in Josephine’s parking lot. So just plan on staying mobile and have fun.

I used to see a lot of elk in 11M when I lived in AZ. It's a non-traditional hunt for sure, but has the potential for a great bull. Just remember that you can't hunt within a quarter mile of a house if you're within Flagstaff city limits.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
I’d have an alternate plan as well. I was in unit 7 last year for archery deer (two weeks prior to the elk opening) and I only saw one water source that had any water in it. The rain outlook doesn’t seem too promising from what I’ve read.

fmyth

WKR
I had an archery cow tag for 11m 3 years ago. I found a drinker near the rim of Walnut Canyon and called in a nice 6x6. That was a good spot and I didn't see any other hunters. South of Flag there were organized groups of UTV road hunters using text and radios to chase a herd. While hunting the south end of the unit I stumbled upon a naked tweaker brushing his tooth, a woman smoking weed while doing yoga on a boulder, and loads of hikers/bikers/campers. I was walking on a FS road right at sunset heading back to my camp when I passed a tweaker camp. A woman in the tweaker camp yelled out to me "hey come on over, we have crackers". I politely declined. Not sure what kind of tweaker trap they had planned but I didn't fall for it. I can try to find the coordinates for that drinker by Walnut Canyon if you'd like them.

NAZ has been getting hammered with snow. I live in Flagstaff and I can’t remember getting snow this late in the year for a little while. I’ve read we are supposed to have a heavy monsoon season this year, which I’m praying for, especially since I have a bull tag here.

River_Rat

FNG
I had an archery cow tag for 11m 3 years ago. I found a drinker near the rim of Walnut Canyon and called in a nice 6x6. That was a good spot and I didn't see any other hunters. South of Flag there were organized groups of UTV road hunters using text and radios to chase a herd. While hunting the south end of the unit I stumbled upon a naked tweaker brushing his tooth, a woman smoking weed while doing yoga on a boulder, and loads of hikers/bikers/campers. I was walking on a FS road right at sunset heading back to my camp when I passed a tweaker camp. A woman in the tweaker camp yelled out to me "hey come on over, we have crackers". I politely declined. Not sure what kind of tweaker trap they had planned but I didn't fall for it. I can try to find the coordinates for that drinker by Walnut Canyon if you'd like them.
Lol that's a wild hunt!

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Haha thank you all! Greatly appreciate all the feedback
Hopefully it’ll be a great monsoon season that’d be nice
I’m just hoping to take my first archery bull
Hopefully I don’t run into too many hippies but what do you do I guess

Wapiti1

WKR
What is a tweaker????
The definition ranges from hippie dopeheads to hard core metheads and heroin addicts.

Generally speaking, to be avoided. You will often be asked for money, food, and possibly offered a bunch of interesting and possibly anatomically impossible things in exchange for money, or maybe outright robbed. If you park anywhere near, expect a broken window.

Jeremy