AZ Coues 2021 Units 32, 33

rootacres

WKR
Hello All,

I was hoping for a little insight here. Im not expecting any ONX pins but I am reaching for a rifle tag in one of these two units. This will be my first hunt with my father-in-law and also my first coues hunt. He lives in Oro Valley so Im thinking one of these units would be great. We don't have a problem lacing up the boots and packing in, if that's even an option. And we plan on bringing all the glass we can.

Are there certain areas to concentrate on?

Whats the hunt pressure look like?r

Thank you,

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
32 will have much less pressure if you backpack in, access is a much bigger issue however. I regularly hunt and guide both of the units, if AZGFD cut the tag number for 33 in half or by 70% it would return to an awesome unit but the pressure is insane. The bighorn fire came through the catalinas this year and burned a majority of the habitat which may or may not be a negative next year, I haven’t been out since the majority of the hunts are over this year, but I suspect the age class got hammered hard with so much of the cover being burnt this year...

that said, the lion population in both units is out of control, I think you will see more bucks in 33 but the potential of finding 100” bucks in 32 if you’re not scared of a death march into the wilderness is probably better.

the starting points on AZGFD are actually really good for both units, and both units hold deer everywhere. 32 will be easier to draw also.

I think it really comes down to if you want a remote hunt where you will see less but likely better bucks or a less remote hunt where you will see a good number of 75-85” bucks but will have to work hard to find a trophy.
I’ve backpacked both of the units nearly every season (at least one of the units every season) for the last 15 years I would happily answer any questions you have if you want to shoot me a PM.