AZ Coues Deer Clarification

rootacres

WKR
Hello everyone, I am trying to navigate this AZ fish and game site as a non resident and make sure I am doing everything correctly. Basically I want to buy bonus points over the next many years to eventually chase after coues. Am I reading this correctly where I will need to purchase a big game hunting license in order to be eligible to buy a bonus point? Ive made it to the "pay" page with my license and don't see anywhere to purchase a bonus point, how do it do this? I want to make sure I'm not burning $160 on a license I don't need/want while trying to track down a bonus point purchase. Thank you in advance.

You have to buy a non-res license. At that point you might as well get your money's worth and buy points for deer, elk and possibly javelina.

You have to wait for the draws to open to buy a bonus point for the desired species.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
You have to buy a non-res license. At that point you might as well get your money's worth and buy points for deer, elk and possibly javelina.

You have to wait for the draws to open to buy a bonus point for the desired species.

I don't see where I can add those points. Do I need to go through with the purchase of the license and then go back and add the points for the draws that are open?

I don't see where I can add those points. Do I need to go through with the purchase of the license and then go back and add the points for the draws that are open?
I don't believe the application period is open for deer yet. Elk and antelope is already passed for 2020, I believe the deer and sheep open in May and go to the first of June..?

No draws are open so you cannot purchase any bonus points. The "Second Tuesday" is when the applications must be submitted; online entries typically open up a few weeks before the deadline.

Species: Draw Deadlines
  • Pronghorn antelope, elk
    • Second Tuesday in February (pending Commission approval)
  • Deer, fall turkey, fall javelina, bighorn sheep, fall bison, sandhill crane
    • Second Tuesday in June (pending Commission approval)
  • Spring javelina, spring bear, spring turkey, spring bison
    • Second Tuesday in October (pending Commission approval)

You’ll need to buy your hunting license and then go through the application process and pick hunt code “0000 bonus point only”. I would recommend buying your license and applying on the last day possible. I think you can squeeze 2 years out of one license if the expiration is 6/8/2021 or later

Briant_az

FNG
@rootacres
Where are you wanting to hunt in AZ? and what time of year.
If you are willing to hunt in southern AZ on the earlier hunts, you probably don't need any bonus points.
If you are wanting to do a late Coues hunt, then you will need them for sure! Let me know if you need any help with the process!

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
@rootacres
Where are you wanting to hunt in AZ? and what time of year.
If you are willing to hunt in southern AZ on the earlier hunts, you probably don't need any bonus points.
If you are wanting to do a late Coues hunt, then you will need them for sure! Let me know if you need any help with the process!

Im hoping for southern AZ in the surrounding Tuscon area. My in-laws have a place in Oro Valley so that opens up some options down there. I want to take my father in law out. Looking for a rifle tag, preferably closer to the rut. I probably won't wait long enough to go after the late December tag but I do have my eye on one of the late November - early December tags. Im just wondering when they open up the application for deer? Or is there something I am missing?

Sobrbiker

WKR
Keep an eye on AZGFD’s site, under “apply for draw” tab. Setting up a portal after you buy your license would be good.
Or if you see the link for the 20-21 regulations go up, the deer draw applications usually go live shortly thereafter.

As an AZ resident, I’d suggest you do a Mexico hunt:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Briant_az

FNG
Im hoping for southern AZ in the surrounding Tuscon area. My in-laws have a place in Oro Valley so that opens up some options down there. I want to take my father in law out. Looking for a rifle tag, preferably closer to the rut. I probably won't wait long enough to go after the late December tag but I do have my eye on one of the late November - early December tags. Im just wondering when they open up the application for deer? Or is there something I am missing?

The draw deadline is usually the 2nd Tuesday of June, that would be June 9th this year. AZGFD has yet to put out the regulations fro deer season. I imagine it will be pretty soon though. Like stated above just keep an eye on AZGFD.gov and they will post the regs soon. In my opinion its pretty easy to apply for a tag through the website, of course other than Montana this is the only state I have ever put in for.

If you are looking for something close to the rut, The December tag is really your only option. That late November-early December tag isn't going to get you in the rut in southern AZ. The mule deer in the northern part of the state are rutting that time of year, but not down south.

Also if you do ever want to go to Mexico, let me know! I have lots of Mexico Coues tags available every year!

If you are ready to hunt this year, I would recommend putting in for the tag you want vs, a bonus point. The application costs the same as the point. You aren't even going to touch rut activity on a rifle tag in southern az unless you draw a late december tag. That usually takes some points to draw, but you will still have a chance in the random pool at 0 points. If you are looking to hunt the peak of the rut, OTC archery in January is your best bet.

Just wanted to provide an update. The regulations have now been released. Keep an eye on the web site for information on when you can submit your online application.

Esau

FNG
If you want to hunt 31 or 32 I can give you some starting points and if you want to backpack in I can help you pack in supplies and water.

The draw deadline is usually the 2nd Tuesday of June, that would be June 9th this year. AZGFD has yet to put out the regulations fro deer season. I imagine it will be pretty soon though. Like stated above just keep an eye on AZGFD.gov and they will post the regs soon. In my opinion its pretty easy to apply for a tag through the website, of course other than Montana this is the only state I have ever put in for.

If you are looking for something close to the rut, The December tag is really your only option. That late November-early December tag isn't going to get you in the rut in southern AZ. The mule deer in the northern part of the state are rutting that time of year, but not down south.

Also if you do ever want to go to Mexico, let me know! I have lots of Mexico Coues tags available every year!
Would like to know about the Mexico tags?
Thanks