AZ Coues Rugged Wilderness Areas

Looking for some nasty wilderness areas to pursue the elusive Coues deer..... as well as some javelina..... looking for rugged backcountry public land preferably wilderness areas.....I’ve looked into the Needles Eye Wilderness but that’s about it....any suggestions?

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you are talking about archery hunting because of wanting to hunt both coues and Javelina at the same time, the Javelina tag will need to be drawn. Look at AZ game and fish for draw success rates for Javelina. The coues tag for archery is otc

Each unit that holds good populations of both are going to have areas, not necessarily wilderness, but hard to get to with no roads

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds like a lot of fun, rifle or archery? Do coues have similar habits to eastern whitetails?
Maybe a little on habits but not habitat Couse don’t move much, you can see the same deer year after year in the same area. The habitat is generally steep and brushy making them hard to spot, and most of the time from a long ways

A rifle hunting is through a draw system. Southern part of AZ has most tags

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
For some reason I’ve started obsessing over Arizona and Coues Deer idk why....... I was looking into Chiricahua, Mount Wrightson, Miller Peak, Needle Eye, and Boboquivari wilderness areas...... do a 3 or 4 day archery hunt

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Your plan looks solid. If you know how to glass you’re very likely to see deer. Killing one with a bow takes some combination of skill and luck.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I would call the superstitions rugged. The thick brush can be the biggest challenge, but theres a ton of coues in there. Walk into Revis ranch and you can pet does on the head. No, I'm not joking, they have almost no fear of humans up there. Pretty cool spot, plus plenty of apples if you go at the right time

If you want a rugged,remote coues deer area check out unit 27 in east central Arizona. Not many roads in to it, there are deer in there that die of old age. Lots of different elevations you can hunt too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
If you want a rugged,remote coues deer area check out unit 27 in east central Arizona. Not many roads in to it, there are deer in there that die of old age. Lots of different elevations you can hunt too.

Thanks man looking for that sky island adventure

AZ_J

FNG

I just did this this year, and boy everything is vertical once you step off the road. But literally saw 15+ deer a day, no big bucks but a bunch of tall forked coues. Only 1 mule deer doe was spotted

Looking for some nasty wilderness areas to pursue the elusive Coues deer..... as well as some javelina..... looking for rugged backcountry public land preferably wilderness areas.....I’ve looked into the Needles Eye Wilderness but that’s about it....any suggestions?

Any of the wilderness areas in coues country are going to be nasty.

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you want "rugged" for an otc tag? I'd go with stalkable country before going for rugged. In any case I can see Miller peak from my house. My home unit 35a has some pretty stalkable country and lots of deer. Fyi, the Miller wilderness area is hike in only. The road thst goes up to Carr canyon is closed in the winter. Your looking at something like 5 miles in.

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Btw, the further north you go and lower in unit number the number of Coues goes down. For anyone wanting to hunt them for the first time I highly suggest any of the southern units. 30 to 36