AZ desert mule deer in Kofa National Wildlife Refuge Region 4

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in hunting the SW region of AZ for mule deer. I've done alot of desert hunting in SE California and been successful a couple times, but AZ has a few more deer and better quality. Region 4 (unit 41, 42,44, 45) seems to by the primary areas and the Kofa NWR is mentioned in some articles and webpages. Anybody been to those locations or other spots? I would be hunting in January with an archery over the counter tag.

bohntr

WKR
One of the biggest desert non-typicals I've ever seen was on the Kofa years ago. I used to live close by and scouted it all the time. There's some good deer still there, but the overall population is WAY down. The Kofa's has a bad lion problem that's hammering the deer and sheep, coupled with the extended drought conditions the unit has been experiencing is severely hampering the population.

The key to hunting the Kofa is locating water sources (trick tanks, springs) and glassing the washes within a mile of them. It takes quite a bit of scouitng, as some pockets simply hold more critters than others.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Any other locations you suggest? I'll be going on a scouting trip New Year's weekend. Trying to find some new hunting spots.
ps-what is "bump"? sorry if it is a stupid questions

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea. I guess I just bumped it again. I suppose you also have interests in this area? I'm also trying to figure out primary access points and areas to set up a camp for my scouting trip.