AZ Draw Confusion

rootacres

WKR
Ok so I am a member of goHunt which has been very helpful. I am going to be entering the draw / buying points in AZ. The pronghorn and Elk draw ends on Feb 9th. You need to have a hunting license valid through 2/28 (I believe) to enter the draw. I have a license that is valid through 4/15/21. Is the draw not yet open? When I log in and try to apply for the draw it basically goes to a blank page that looks like this (below). Am I doing something wrong here? Is AZ expecting me to buy another license that's valid for all of 2021 before letting me enter the draw? Ive only purchased points in AZ once before and I remember it being slightly confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 4.23.29 PM.png

WKR
The elk/pronghorn draw isn't open yet, you're not doing anything wrong. As long as your license is still valid when you apply, you shouldn't have to buy another one.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
The elk/pronghorn draw isn't open yet, you're not doing anything wrong. As long as your license is still valid when you apply, you shouldn't have to buy another one.
Thank you, it would be nice if they would publish application open dates in addition to deadlines somewhere. It would save a lot of confusion. I wish they would move to something more like WY.

Is the 2/28 date correct for current license? AZ personnel said application deadline, or 2/9 for 2021, is the date. Anybody have clarification?

WKR
AZGF are a little slow this year and they updated the portal system recently. Changed everyone's password in the portal account, so you have to login in with their password and enter a new one. AZGF system does have some flaws, especially when applying for more then one species at a time. But they hit the CCs just a little over two weeks after the draw ends and you know the results in three weeks. Much better then WY holding your money for four months. I wish every state gave us results three weeks after the draw deadline.

wapitibob

WKR
Is the 2/28 date correct for current license? AZ personnel said application deadline, or 2/9 for 2021, is the date. Anybody have clarification?

Per regulation, license valid at the close of the published app deadline.

Once you go to the portal and use the temp password they gave you, you need to enter a permanent pass, which can be the one you used prior to the update.

CC update deadline is Feb 25, Cards will be hit Friday Feb 26

So are you saying it is possible for a first timer NR to buy a license this year and use it to apply next year too?

GNUOY

FNG
I’ve been watching every day for the past week. Seems to be late this year for some reason.

Wheels

WKR
So are you saying it is possible for a first timer NR to buy a license this year and use it to apply next year too?
Guys have been trying to double dip for years thinking they can purchase their license on the final day of the app deadline and use it the following year. Only problem is that their license will expire one day prior to the app deadline date the next year.

Guys have been trying to double dip for years thinking they can purchase their license on the final day of the app deadline and use it the following year. Only problem is that their license will expire one day prior to the app deadline date the next year.
Why couldn’t you select your license to be between 2/9/2021-2/8/2022?

Wheels

WKR
Why couldn’t you select your license to be between 2/9/2021-2/8/2022?
It’s worth a shot, if everything remains the same the app deadline should be 2/8 of next year. Worst case is you will have to buy a license next year if something changes. I buy one every year as insurance that I won’t lose my loyalty point.

GNUOY

FNG
I think the app deadline changes by date every year because it will always end the second Tuesday of February. I guess if you looked at the colander you could try to make it work.

I also understand the Feb app is for elk and antelope? But deer is later? If I buy a license later this year and apply for deer only this year, I should be able to buy an elk point next year without buying a new license? Just wouldn’t be able to get an elk point this year.

Utah allows double dipping with their license. Just wondered if AZ did too

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I also understand the Feb app is for elk and antelope? But deer is later? If I buy a license later this year and apply for deer only this year, I should be able to buy an elk point next year without buying a new license? Just wouldn’t be able to get an elk point this year.

Utah allows double dipping with their license. Just wondered if AZ did too
You can buy a license when you put in for deer this year and put in for elk next year, but you would need to buy another license to hunt elk if you were drawn for elk. It's simple, your license is good for one year form the time you buy it.

Hoot

WKR
If you do it correctly, you can apply 3 years in a row on two licenses, if you are putting in for deer and sheep in the summer as well.

If you are only putting in for elk and antelope, you can get it two years per license, IF you draw, you'll obviously have to buy a license to hunt legally.

I just learned about the 3 years for 2 licenses strategy, but the dates check out on the calendar. My license from last year expires 2/9 this year, which would be valid for me to apply with. If I wait until the deadline for deer and sheep to buy this years license, I will be able to apply for elk and antelope, as well as deer and sheep next year, 3 years, 2 licenses.

I personally don't know how I feel about that, gotta be on top of your game to make it work, I don't want to risk my loyalty points..

If you do it correctly, you can apply 3 years in a row on two licenses, if you are putting in for deer and sheep in the summer as well.

If you are only putting in for elk and antelope, you can get it two years per license, IF you draw, you'll obviously have to buy a license to hunt legally.

I just learned about the 3 years for 2 licenses strategy, but the dates check out on the calendar. My license from last year expires 2/9 this year, which would be valid for me to apply with. If I wait until the deadline for deer and sheep to buy this years license, I will be able to apply for elk and antelope, as well as deer and sheep next year, 3 years, 2 licenses.

I personally don't know how I feel about that, gotta be on top of your game to make it work, I don't want to risk my loyalty points..
Very true, safe play is buy a license each year. I’m just curious with the dates and such. Thanks for all the input guys.

I don’t think anyone will have a problem
buying a license IF and WHEN they get drawn. Just pretty steep to pay $160/ yr for a license you won’t use that year.

I know I know: you gotta pay to play

wapitibob

WKR
AZ has a 365 day license, and every year for 5 years the app deadline closes one day sooner, then it resets back. Buy the license on Feb 9 and it will be good on the app deadline of Feb 8 2022. Been doing it for years despite all the bad info people tend to post on the internet.

Utah also has a 365 day license allowing the two year span, but does not require a license to hunt.