AZ early season Muley/Coues tips

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m new to archery deer here in AZ, and had an interesting late season hunt. 1 600yd stalk on a muley spike that turned out to be me imagining spikes on a doe, and two clean miss blown shots on decent coues bucks (full on rookie mistakes in each case, learned from them and thankfully didn’t wound either).
That said, I’ll be heading out solo DIY IN August, I know to be quiet, be patient, play the wind etc.
I just really have no clue as to what to look for in late summer terrain, where to hunt out of the Phx area (not BP hunting solo in August) that won’t have a pool party of blinds over water...etc.

I know enough to know I don’t know much, and am looking for nuggets of wisdom to make my odds of success better. Not looking for honey holes, more general areas and what to look for in an area I plan to hunt. Do the muleys skidaddle to completely different terrain in the warm months?
Blind/no blind, spot and stalk still viable or sitting water the only way to get it done?

Anyway, basically looking for anything that will help a beginner bow hunter in early season AZ.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
if you're going out in August I think your best bet would to sit water, or at least know where the water holes are

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
if you're going out in August I think your best bet would to sit water, or at least know where the water holes are
+1
AA.jpg

bowuntr

WKR
Most don't have the balls to sit water in the desert in 100 degree heat in August. Scout hard in July and August and you'll find the right spot. If you decide to hunt the cooler high country you'll be run over with competition. Ed F

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Most don't have the balls to sit water in the desert in 100 degree heat in August. Scout hard in July and August and you'll find the right spot. If you decide to hunt the cooler high country you'll be run over with competition. Ed F

Good thing I’ve been working outside the past 20yrs!

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
I believe it is Jay Scott Outdoors podcasts that have several AZ guides talk about hunting deer in AZ. I would look and listen to some of those. Good luck.
Thanks-
I’ve been listening to them a bunch, most are Dec/Jan bowhunts.
I’m wondering if Muley bachelor packs below the rim migrate real far or if their patterns keep them around relatively the same water sources in Aug/Sept.

If it is hot, as expected, as in triple digit temps, the deer will be within a mile of water with very few exceptions. Be in a good glassing position and find where they bed. If you put on a stalk, try to do it during the heat of the day. Trust me, they do not want to move in the heat of the day, and they will hold until the last second. Just take your time during those stalks..

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Makes sense, thanks BH.
I guess I need to get out and start shed hunting to find some more spots.
I’m thinking my kit for if I do sit water may wind up being the lightweight APC ghillie I sometimes use on coyote stands thrown in my pack and the old Fred Bear “sit still and be quiet”-it’d be a lot lighter and more mobile than dragging a blind around.

You may find mule deer still occupying winter range in August. But these little guys are likely not:
P1010513.jpg

Attachments

• P1010512.jpg
    P1010512.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Very nice-archery Coues?
My freezer would like a Muley, but I gotta say I really want a Coues with a bow. My avatar is my rifle Coues and I’m hooked. I hate to admit that in January I got to shoot an at two Coues bucks in one morning (same blond, same tank 1.5hr apart😐) and made a completely avoidable rookie bow hunter mistake on each (wrong pin, deflection)....
Thanks for the input!!

Decades ago archery. We all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up to much.

I got the buck in the pictures, but the one that got away was a world record buck:cry:. I got on him 5 different time on 5 different beds, and he still got away. But hey, the one I got, the one in the pictures is not a buck to scoff about.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
That second pic really shows how impressive he is!
They don’t get that way being easy to kill!

No beating myself up-lessons well learned, and I can’t wait to try again! I also spotted what I thought for sure was a forky Muley and made a 600+ yard stalk up a drainage to find it was a dark browed doe I got to have a staring contest with at 30yds, which is a success in my book (just not my freezer).

Briant_az

FNG
From my experience you have a couple of hours to find coues deer up and moving at first light. Really maybe only one hour. Watch them bed and as stated above move in a little later in the morning.
Also watch for snakes.

AJPERALTA

FNG
If you’re goi g to hunt the desert there won’t be many people. At least not hiking. Maybe some road hunters Hopi g to run across something. Like others have said try to glass them up at sunrise, let them bed and then put a stalk on. Pick out points of reference because it will look completely different from where you glassed. That’s usually my morning through mid day hunt, then I usually sit water in the evening until nightfall. That early season is tough but at least you get to get out and start hunting.

i get a shot at a coues every january. this year i had my buddy arrow the buck. got him to 15 yards. last year i tagged a 100 incher. i’m born and raised on columbian black tail and i think they are harder to hunt than the coues. we can’t hunt the rut. the rut makes all the difference and AZ does a great job on predator control. Ca sucks and prefers predators of all kinds.