AZ early season OTC mule deer archery hunt unit?

Hello all,

I am driving from the midwest to try my hand at stalking some mule deer with my bow in late August (2019). I am in the early stages of scouting and I've yet to decide on a Unit. I have been cruising the Arizona Game and Fish website, the regs, OnxMaps, and Google Earth. Picked out a couple areas, but want to leave the thread open.

Looking for a nice mature buck, but knowing full and well these OTC archery tags are more of an opportunity to practice your stalks, ha! I'll put the miles on my boats, hours behind the glass, and I can carry plenty of water.

Thanks, guys!

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I live down by 34A where we have plenty of deer. The mule deer in general aren't doing as well as the Coues deer but that's not to say there aren't any nice bucks around. The mule deer hunting is generally better in the units closer to the Mogollon Rim than down south by me as I understand (Coues deer are doing really well down here) but regardless I would caution you on the heat. The August and September seasons can be brutally hot, especially if you're coming from the Midwest. I grew up in Wisconsin, have been to Iraq and southern Afghanistan as well as a few years out here and the heat still beats me up. It's just so much more intense than the humid heat back home. There's some great hunting to be had if you can catch them on their feet heading to bed or getting up at last light but I would keep your movement to a minimum during the midday hours and bring ultralight portable shade with you while you glass. I've heard the Kifaru Sheep Tarp is excellent. There are some very accomplished Arizona mule deer hunters on this forum who I'm sure would be happy to give you some more specific pointers. Good luck.

dan

1 and 27 would be convenient for you coming from the Midwest, and among the most pleasant to hunt in August in the higher elevations, as well as plenty of burns to glass.
Inciweb has the burn history for the past several years. There are a few good sized burns in those eastern units.

OP
uh60Crewchief
I live down by 34A where we have plenty of deer. The mule deer in general aren't doing as well as the Coues deer but that's not to say there aren't any nice bucks around. The mule deer hunting is generally better in the units closer to the Mogollon Rim than down south by me as I understand (Coues deer are doing really well down here) but regardless I would caution you on the heat. The August and September seasons can be brutally hot, especially if you're coming from the Midwest. I grew up in Wisconsin, have been to Iraq and southern Afghanistan as well as a few years out here and the heat still beats me up. It's just so much more intense than the humid heat back home. There's some great hunting to be had if you can catch them on their feet heading to bed or getting up at last light but I would keep your movement to a minimum during the midday hours and bring ultralight portable shade with you while you glass. I've heard the Kifaru Sheep Tarp is excellent. There are some very accomplished Arizona mule deer hunters on this forum who I'm sure would be happy to give you some more specific pointers. Good luck.

dan

Dan, thanks for the response. Will take note of the heat and plan on staying hydrated and in the shade while glassing. It's looking like I have narrowed it down to Unit 27. We will focus on the dawn and dusk portions of the day. Thanks, again

Andy

OP
uh60Crewchief
August is always my favorite hunt here. It’s hot that’s for sure. What type of terrain are you wanting to hunt?

Well, that's a great question. Which ever type of terrain is easiest to spot and stalk. Look's like we are set on Unit 27. Looking to be like a lot of Ponderosa Pine and brush up top and more desert-type landscape down below. What's your favorite terrain to stalk mule deer in?

Blancotx

FNG
I seebNeverquit saying Unit 1 was his favorite for mule deer. I know its a great Elk area. Is it better than 27 for fall mulies? Im planning a hunt. I have buddies that got a archery elk permit and I somehow drew a Unit 1 tag. I was planning on going to 27 for the 1st time. I hunt 34 in January.

jseide

FNG
If prefer to wait until its cooler, hunt the December season. That the beautiful part about Az, 3 shots to make it happen during the year.... Good luck to you.