AZ Elk or mule deer this year?

Which hunt should I do this year? No, both are not an option for me.

• Mule Deer - 13A General Rifle

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Elk - Unit 1 early archery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AZ_J

FNG
Hello all,

I assume I will have a tough decision to make when AZ Deer results get thrown out there. But I have two options this year. I already drew a unit 1 early archery bull tag, and I assume I will get drawn for Mule deer in the strip (13A) this year. I will have point guard for both so I can ditch whichever hunt I want to put off till the next year.

I am currently thinking I will ditch the elk tag. Mostly because I have a total of (5) days of elk hunting experience, My dad had unit 1 last year. This year all of my hunting camp seems to have drawn their various flagstaff units. So I am thinking of ditching the elk tag mostly because my only support would be from my father and he just had his knee replaced.

The deer hunt I am not too concerned with needing help on that as I LOVE chasing around mule deer, and I can do that hunt myself. However I have already had this tag once, and would have liked to drawn elk or antelope before I get to do this hunt again.

Let me know which hunt you would rather do. But on the off chance I don't draw for deer, I may still consider point guarding the elk tag just to go to Colorado to pick up another week of experience before I do my hunt and do it correctly.

Thanks all for reading and thanks for your responses.

OP
A

AZ_J

FNG
Update. Elk unit 1 I drew on bonus pass, and I am fairly certain I will get 13A on the bonus pass. I chose 13A because I am definitely not out to shoot the biggest deer of the year in the country, and I like the later season dates of the (2) hunts between 13a/b. I have been on the 13A a couple of times and I like the area, I know it fairly well. If I do in fact not get drawn this year for deer, 13b from here on out for me.