AZ Elk Unit Information

Whip

WKR
Any suggestions on where to go for good detailed information on various AZ elk units? I've read what I can find online and think I have an idea of where I want to apply. I should have a good chance at the ones I've identified based on prior years and adjusting for anticipated point creep. But I have tried calling AZ Game & Fish and can't even get transferred to a biologist. They just state that all the information is on the website.
I've gotten a pile of points and money tied up in what will certainly be a once in a lifetime hunt and would love to talk with someone who has first hand personal knowledge of the units I'm looking at. I hesitate to list the units I'm looking at publicly - point creep is bad enough as it is. But maybe I'll have to resort to that.
Any suggestions on how to find someone knowledgeable without going public?

You could call a reputable guide service that operates in the units you're interested in and chat them up about which units fit what you're looking for. You'd probably need to frame it around considering going guided, but it could be a productive conversation.

Outfitters tend to have “preferred” units; this can be due to intimate unit knowledge rather than truly the “best” unit(s) for the targeted trophy species. I also wouldn’t rely on them providing accurate information as it is not in their best interest to do so; you’re not a client and even then they don’t divulge a ton of info.

Look at a Coues Whitetail for additional information.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
I have thought about trying to contact outfitters. But I'd honestly be wasting their time and I'm pretty sure would only get biased information unless they actually did hunt in more than one of units that I'm trying to compare. If a guide hunts unit A and I'm trying to compare it to unit B that he doesn't hunt I'm pretty sure I know what I would hear from him.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Any suggestions on where to go for good detailed information on various AZ elk units? I've read what I can find online and think I have an idea of where I want to apply. I should have a good chance at the ones I've identified based on prior years and adjusting for anticipated point creep. But I have tried calling AZ Game & Fish and can't even get transferred to a biologist. They just state that all the information is on the website.
I've gotten a pile of points and money tied up in what will certainly be a once in a lifetime hunt and would love to talk with someone who has first hand personal knowledge of the units I'm looking at. I hesitate to list the units I'm looking at publicly - point creep is bad enough as it is. But maybe I'll have to resort to that.
Any suggestions on how to find someone knowledgeable without going public?
You could ask a friend who spends every spare minute he has in Arizona…

I have thought about trying to contact outfitters. But I'd honestly be wasting their time and I'm pretty sure would only get biased information unless they actually did hunt in more than one of units that I'm trying to compare. If a guide hunts unit A and I'm trying to compare it to unit B that he doesn't hunt I'm pretty sure I know what I would hear from him.
There are some outfitters that service most if not all of the units worth putting in for, and I've learned quite a bit from them, but I get the concern about getting biased information.

Overall agree with @AZ_Hunter_2000 that CWT is a good resource, just trying to give an option that wouldn't put the OP's question on the internet for everyone to google search, since they noted that concern. Honestly I'd love it if you posted on CWT; since Blake got busted the elk forum has been a snoozefest! But great group of guys without which I'm not sure I would have tagged my AZ bull.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
I was referring to the running joke on the site about 4B

Anyways, OP you should check out Jay Scott’s podcast. He has had some pretty good unit breakdowns in the past
I have listened to those podcasts and they were a big help in getting me to this point. I'm going to go back and listen again as part of my decision process.
There are some outfitters that service most if not all of the units worth putting in for, and I've learned quite a bit from them, but I get the concern about getting biased information.

Overall agree with @AZ_Hunter_2000 that CWT is a good resource, just trying to give an option that wouldn't put the OP's question on the internet for everyone to google search, since they noted that concern. Honestly I'd love it if you posted on CWT; since Blake got busted the elk forum has been a snoozefest! But great group of guys without which I'm not sure I would have tagged my AZ bull.
I'll give CWT a try. Hate to be that guy who's first post is asking where to apply, but can't hurt asking.
I've done the research and have a good base of info. Just have yet to find someone who has actual first hand experience in the units. Things like hunting pressure, competition and interference, is the terrain glassable, call shy or responsive bulls, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions!
If anyone has knowledge of the mid tier AZ units and wouldn't mind bouncing some thoughts around with me I'd appreciate corresponding by PM. I'm very discreet with any info someone would be willing to share.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
I have 15. I pretty much know which units I should be able to draw and which I am looking at applying to. Just hoping to find more detailed info on them.
I've had some great responses so far and am actually having lunch today with a guy that has hunted one of the units I'm looking at his whole life. That should be an excellent contact! I've got another guy that hunted another unit a couple of years ago that has shared some great info.
Thanks for all the help. This is really helping me solidify my choice.

I have 15. I pretty much know which units I should be able to draw and which I am looking at applying to. Just hoping to find more detailed info on them.
I've had some great responses so far and am actually having lunch today with a guy that has hunted one of the units I'm looking at his whole life. That should be an excellent contact! I've got another guy that hunted another unit a couple of years ago that has shared some great info.
Thanks for all the help. This is really helping me solidify my choice.
Just skimming through the odds I can’t believe how absurd they are for NR’s. An 18+ year wait for late rifle 23? There’s some nice bulls in there but it’s not like there’s a 350" around every corner

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Yeah, they really are kind of depressing. Arizona is not alone. I've played the point game in quite a few states for years. They are all getting worse because there is a whole bunch of us NRs in the same game for a very limited number of tags.
Now here I am sitting on 15 points and still not close to drawing the units I was originally looking at. Not complaining - it is what it is. I feel even worse for the young guys who are just now trying to get into the game. If the systems stays the same they will have to rely almost entirely on getting lucky with a random tag or wait most of their lifetimes to get into the bonus pass.

Well the good news is that there’s decent bulls in most AZ units. Based on your points your holding out for an early (archery?) hunt. If so, you have good areas within reach, but they could get tough if the weather doesn’t cooperate

Scoot

WKR
I feel even worse for the young guys who are just now trying to get into the game. If the systems stays the same they will have to rely almost entirely on getting lucky with a random tag or wait most of their lifetimes to get into the bonus pass.
Those young guys have a lot more to worry about than that. There's movement in AZ to get rid of hunting predators. If that passes the quality of hunting elk and deer in AZ will drop dramatically. Folks who want quality hunting in AZ better speak up with their votes or things are really going to go to shit in a hurry.