AZ Elk Units for Youth Hunters

muleman

WKR
Looking for general advice on which AZ elk units would be a good fit for young hunters. Muzzleloader or rifle would be the weapons of choice. Backpack hunts of up to 5 miles in the right terrain would be doable.

Not looking to camp next to you or steal your honey hole just need a little guidance on areas that young hunters would have a decent chance at an animal.

Feel free to PM me, thanks.

Emh

FNG
Youth only hunts are available but for cows only. Any of those hunts are good. If you want bulls then I'm assuming the late hunts are what your wanting to try as it takes a bunch of points to get early muzzy or rifle bull tags. 6a late muzzy is a fun hunt and some good bulls can be found. 10 late rifle is my favorite late rifle bull hunt but 8 isn't bad for good/big bulls. 27 or 23 late is a good hunt but the better bulls tend to be killed in the nasty parts of the unit. Got any questions ask away, lifelong az resident hunter 15 yr guide (retired)

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Put my 13yr old son in for the youth elk and deer drawing. I'll refer back to this post for more info if he draws a tag...

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
muleman if you guys do get tags, I would be willing to help out. I live in the middle of the state and would be willing to scout and point you in the right direction. I just enjoy getting out with my 4 year old. As far as the elk units, for opportunity 6a is hard to beat and its relatively easy terrain. Also a fan of 6B and 8. Let me know. Daniel