az elk

slamdmini

FNG
right now im sitting on 10 pts in az. i can draw a number of late season tags both rifle and archery. so do i burn my points now or do i bite the bullet and keep putting in and hope i draw a better tag in 5-10 yrs? this would be my first elk hunt, and i could probably get out for one quick scouting trip. what would you guys do? what has been your experience with the late season hunts?

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
point creep has become so bad I have been burning all my points everywhere asap. western states are bound to keep changing the rules to make it harder for non-residents also. go now.

I have had two late rifle elk tags and filled one on a nice bull. It really depends on what your goals are in my opinion. Are you just looking for a chance at a six point? A late season ~10 point tag might give you that. If you want to shoot a bull of a lifetime you're best served waiting for a better tag.

The one piece of advice I would give is try to hunt elk at least once before you draw Arizona, whether it be your tag or someone else's. Arizona tags have the opportunity to be really good but if you're inexperienced you may waste that opportunity and end up kicking yourself.

ncstewart

WKR
If this is your first elk hunt do not do a late archery hunt. If you can afford a guide then do that.
Hard to say if you should keep chasing or burn them cause it really depends on what you looking to do. I personally like to hunt so I burn my points when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
In 5 or 10 years from now in AZ it will probably take another 5 or 10 years. I have 18 non res elk points and have been chasing a couple of units that when I started took 9 -10 points. They just keep getting farther away in AZ.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Late rifle hunt would be where I would go with that many points. If you really want to hunt Archery put in for the regular September tag and wait to draw it to fully enjoy that hunt in AZ.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
right now im sitting on 10 pts in az. i can draw a number of late season tags both rifle and archery. so do i burn my points now or do i bite the bullet and keep putting in and hope i draw a better tag in 5-10 yrs? this would be my first elk hunt, and i could probably get out for one quick scouting trip. what would you guys do? what has been your experience with the late season hunts?
With the way that point creep has been working I would hunt while you can.

WRO

WKR
Just burn them, there's lots of decent options in that point level.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah I would agree, burn them. I went this past year with 10 points and it was my first elk hunt. Can't wait to go back

OP
S

slamdmini

FNG
Forgot to add, I'm not looking to kill a giant (although that would be nice), I'd happily shoot a raghorn if given the opportunity. If I didn't draw this year I could maybe go this year and scout during the season.
Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

BBob

WKR
this would be my first elk hunt
I feel for people stuck in this situation. You've built a bunch of points for a primo AZ elk hunt and have no experience hunting elk. So you draw a nice choice AZ hunt and have time for one scouting trip. Not exactly a great scenario and in my mind a potential waste of a bunch of points. I think I'd be trying for other states OTC hunts (even if it isn't optimal and may not be directly comparable to an AZ hunt) just to get some experience and continue to apply for that AZ hunt.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
I feel for people stuck in this situation. You've built a bunch of points for a primo AZ elk hunt and have no experience hunting elk. So you draw a nice choice AZ hunt and have time for one scouting trip. Not exactly a great scenario and in my mind a potential waste of a bunch of points. I think I'd be trying for other states OTC hunts (even if it isn't optimal and may not be directly comparable to an AZ hunt) just to get some experience and continue to apply for that AZ hunt.
This.
Elk hunting is challenging and the learning curve is usually pretty steep.
Going on a late season hunt, after the elk are pressured and the rut is over, can be even more challenging.
Kind of a tough situation for a first elk hunt.

Brooks

WKR
If you’re happy killing a young bull there’s no sense of building any more points, just put in a lesser unit and go. Most guys with a lot of points are looking for a big mature bull.

bohntr

WKR
Put in for a BP this year and then next year put in fir an archery unit you can draw with 11 points as a NR (there are a few). Next year the archery season will be the latest it will be in September……which should increase the amount of bugling. JMO

At this stage of the game, you should apply for a tag and quit banking points. Good chance of drawing one of the so-called "high end" units in the Random Draw.

You’ve waited this long so I’d keep building points for AZ while learning to elk hunt in other states. Save them for when you can start getting close to an early rifle hunt for bull elk.

Or just pony up the cash and go guided. Can potentially learn more in one week with a guide than weeks (over a period of years) doing it solo.