AZ Feral Pig Meat?

muleman

WKR
Looks like a couple buddies and I are going on a feral pig hunt in Arizona next weekend.

I would like to harvest the meat. This is the first feral pig hunt for all of us. Has anyone eaten feral pigs out of Northern AZ? Any tips on meat care?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Same as Texas. Eats just like pork only a little leaner. If grinding up, you will need to add pork fat to keep your burger sticking together on the grill. As far as chops, they can be a little tough since they are a little lean.

Very tough to locate them on the Strip. They are out there, but are VERY hard to locate. If you guys have some located, good for you and have fun hammering them. I know of a few killed up there. Good luck and enjoy the meat.

Shrek

WKR
I can't speak directly to the Arizona pigs but I've killed more than a few around here and they are all basically the same. Gloves , plenty of blades or a way to sharpen your knife because they are hell on blades , cool them quick because the fat will turn quickly. They carry diseases that are communicatable to humans so wear gloves and wash your hands afterwards. They do not last on ice or in your freezer like deer or elk. They are a tough and greasy mess to clean. Fun to hunt and I prefer to shoot BBQ hogs. 80 to 120 pounds or so and let the bigger ones walk. Eat the best , easier to clean , and about the right size to be eaten before they go bad in the freezer.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm headed down with some Fredonians who have had tabs on them in the the recent past. Hoping to be able to locate and harvest a few.

mauidiver

WKR
Living and hunting Tx, these guys above pretty much nailed it. My havalon makes skinning a breeze, or just use a razor blade Box cutter knife for the skin. Other then that, the smaller the better eating. I like 50-60 lbs almost better than Venison over here. Have fun and good luck. I also keep the meat covered in ice drain open for a week at longest. Just keep adding ice when meat is sticking out above and your set.

rbljack

WKR
All great info above...here is another great way to eat hog, and easy to cook. Those small ones are perfect for this; take the whole front shoulder blade, roast, and shank....brown it in a skillet, then throw it in a crockpot with your favorite spice blends, and let that puppy cook all day. Once its done, makes great pulled pork, just shred it, and your favorite bbq sauce. Throw it on a bun, add some cole slaw....MMM good!